Mesa Amp and Ampeg Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crazybassist601, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Right now I play a Fender P-bass, doing some mods on it like seymour duncan quarter pounder pickups. I was wondering how mesa 400+ sounds with ampeg cabs. I am a fan of 410 adn 115 stacks, and I have never heard an 18. I was wondering how 410 and an 18 would sound. Heres what I was considering for future reference (I am looking to upgrade my rig in the next year or so):

Mesa 400+
    Ampeg SVT-410HLF (got a horn and tweeter and such)
    Ampeg SVT-18 ( I beleive it has a horn and tweeter)

I know next to nothing about amps and cabs, but im sure someone on here does. What are your opinions on Ampegs Classic series cabs? I originally wanted all mesa but this is WAYYY more cost effecient....

Talk away....
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    For the price of an Ampeg 410 and an Ampeg 15 or 18, you could have a Bergantino NV610, NV425, of NV215. It would sound WAY better, and you'd only have to haul one cab. I use an NV610 with my Mesa 400+, and couldn't be happier with it.
  3. yea, but i dont like all 10's at doenst sound full enough. I like the way way bottom end (which is why i play bass ironically enough, cuz i like bass lol). I like a super puncy tone yet not a snappy tone. I dont use too much treble as im in a metalcore/emo/hardcore band.

4. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My preference would be the other way around. Ampeg head + Mesa cab sounds way better than all ampeg to my ears.

Nothing wrong with the setup you suggested though you could explore other options. Maybe even Schroeder cabs.
  5. Get 10s and turn off the horn.

I too was against 10s until the first time I plugged into a 6x10.... :cool:
  6. an 810 is sunonimous (sp) with hardcore and punk . . . but i dont think you are talking about real hardcore

most emo and metal bands . . . i mean "metalcore" bands use 810's aswell

Dont know about a 1x18 but 410's have more bass than a single 1x15, so an 810 would have more bass than a 410+115
  7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    The NV425 is 3 10s and a 15, the 215 is 2 15s and a 6.
  8. Hmmmm, you guys are making me think, whats up with the shroeder cabs everyone is talking about. What are the pros and cons of those? Nobody has fully answered me on how an 18 sounds. Is it punchy, or is it just flat and smooth?
  9. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I highly recommend checking some of the schroeder threads here.

I would talk more on it, but I'm worn out from gigging last night, driving across the state wiht my guitarist so he could trade some guitars and then practicing with band I'm sitting in with.

Now I'm about to leave for another sit-in gig..... I'll be glad to share my thoughts on my schroeder 1210 with you in the future though.....after I rest....someday lol
  10. Punchy isnt the first word that comes to mind with a bigger driver, 10's are best known for thier punchyness (usually mid boosted punch, not treble end)

When i think of an 18" driver, i think, slow (maybe because he cant see over the wheel and hit the pedals at the same time, hohohoho)

11. They're slow and boomy. They require alot of power to move, and they're generally not as loud as a couple of 10s.

There's a reason you don't see many people use them anymore....
  12. yea...I am now strongly considering either a 610 or an 810 right about now....what do you guys recommend (lets say 810) to use with a 400+? How much would an 810 run me ?
    what are the best ones in your opinion?
  13. Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    I agree with Cheezewiz. Right now I have a 400+ and a Ampeg 410hlf. It sounds ok but I have used a Mesa 410 that friend of mine has and liked the tone better. I am gonna test drive an NV610 the first chance I get. I personally think the 10s will give you all of the bottom you want. I have all the lows I want with the Ampeg 410hlf All you have to do is dial the 400+ to want you want.