1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa & Ampeg Cab Pairings - Lightweight Alternatives

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassballs27, Oct 8, 2013.

1. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Alright, I've started looking into lighter weight cab alternatives, so I'm looking for some cab pairings with the following amps:

Mesa Boogie Titan V12
    Mesa Boogie 400+
    Ampeg SVT-2Pro

I'm mainly looking for either one large cabinet (like an 8x10) or two mid sized cabs (like two 4x10's) to pair with the above amps. Lots of Neo options out there that have been discontinued for some time now.

Cabinet depth is a bit of an issue with the above amps, only because I have some deep rack units for all 3 of them.
    Got some feedback on a previous post to check out Fearful, the 1515/66 looks cool, but it isn't that deep at 16.5". Tecamp seem to be around the same depth at 16".
    Maybe someone has a recommendation for placing bigger amps on cabs besides selling the amps and going with another brand. I love the amps I have above, just want to pair them with some lighter, yet big cabs.

Just recently sold my Mesa Powerhouse 810, it was too heavy at 172 lbs at would never be leaving my house. I've got two Mesa PH 410's and two Mesa PH 2x12's left. The 2x12's are a reasonable weight at 78lbs which I might end up keeping, but the 4x10's, although they sound awesome are heavy at 96lbs. I'm strongly thinking of letting my Mesa 410's go and getting some new lightweight cabs, the cheapest option would be to keep my Mesa 410's and just go for one lightweight cabinet (possibly brand new) for now.

Thoughts? Confusion? Why am I getting rid of my Mesa cabs? Well, it's mainly weight. If I can get the same sound or better from a 55 lbs 4x10, why would I carry a 96 lbs 4x10?

Here's what I'm looking for in a response if you have experience with all three of my amps and know of three perfect pairs (and of course I can always re-arrange these cabs if I own them all, unless I own three of the exact same cabs, which is something I'm less likely to do anyway):

Mesa Boogie Titan V12 - Fearful 1515/66
    Mesa Boogie 400+ - Aguilar GS412
    Ampeg SVT-2Pro - Epifani UL2 410 times two

Maybe it's this:

Mesa Boogie Titan V12 - Fearful 1515/66
    Mesa Boogie 400+ - Fearful 1515/66
    Ampeg SVT-2Pro - Fearful 1515/66

Who knows......what lightweight cabs go good with the above amps? Maybe it would be good to have set of cabs that would be good to handle distortion? or a refined studio like cab i.e the Epifani D.I.S.T. 410

Mesa Boogie Titan V12 - Epifani D.I.S.T. 410 - 4 ohm
    Mesa Boogie 400+ - Keep my Mesa 2x12's
    Ampeg SVT-2Pro - Go get another Ampeg 810E and this heavy setup will just stay home.

Looking for some cab pairings from players who have had experience with my amps above and became tired of lugging the bigger stuff around.

2. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Just another note, I've got a chance to pick-up an Aguilar DB810 to sit in my basement.......maybe that would be a better pair with the Ampeg SVT-2Pro? I've heard they're very midrangey.....but a little more flatter and efficient than an 810E (which I wasn't all that keen on, I prefer ported cabs to sealed)

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    If the fEARful 1515/66/1 is on your radar, accept no substitutions.

I put a 100 pound Peavey Classic 400 on mine, it is a DEEP amp and it fits just fine.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Nothing sounds quite like the Mesa Back Breakers. I've tried/owned MANY cabs seeing if I could find something that could satisfyingly do what my PH 4x10 does.

I'd keep the PH 2x12s.

Berg NV 6x10 might get you that big sound with the right rock voicing. Aren't Fearful cabs voiced pretty "flat"/neutral? Not for me. I need that rock tone shape.

5. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    It is on my radar......but I'm also thinking two fEARful 15/6's too. The problem is the price. I generally like to go used if I can.

I'm not liking the wedge style Fearless series, but maybe some people have paired the Fearless and Fearful together by placing the Fearless out in front like a personal monitor and the Fearful with the amp stacked on top?

6. CL400Peavey

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    Yeah not going to find a lot of these used. That said if you compare them to top tier 810's new, they are not overpriced by any means.

Tonally the cabs are different. I wouldnt want both of them pointed at me at the same time. You might also look at the fEARless F215 wide/narrow might be a better form factor for you, and a little less expensive than the '66.

7. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Yeah, this is what I fear. The 4x10's are awesome.....like the pair better than the PH 8x10 that I sold actually and they go great with the 400+. The PH 2x12's sound great...but are a different vibe....a more fingerstyle tone for sure, with less definition than the PH 4x10's.

Man, I hope I don't end up going back to another PH 8x10!

8. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    How about a GK Neo 412 ? The are 90lbs and will fit in the back seat of most sedans.

9. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Not a bad option. Maybe two GK Neo 410's could work too.

Now, have you tried these cabs with either of or all of my amps?

10. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    No I havent. I have a 212 Neo, But Im using GK amps, 800rb and 1001rb. I can say that the 212 has been loud enough for the gigs Ive done so far but it doesnt push air like my 810e.

11. CL400Peavey

Nov 7, 2011
    Grand Rapids Michigan
    I would have no fEAR going with a '66 for rock/metal.

12. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Can Fearful cabs truly double as a PA cabinet too?

13. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    I learned the hard way that an 810 is easier to move around than my 215. The added height makes it easier to do the tilt and shove.

My SVT-2 Pro has no problem fitting on top of the narrow end of a 1x15 TL-606. Of course, if you put it into a giant oversized rack with a huge footprint, that could be a problem.

14. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Yeah, I definitely find the "squatty" cabs, like Mesa's 6x10's and 2x15's or even the Powerhouse to be a little annoying for lifting and manoeuvring. Like the Ampeg 410HLF, that is an annoying cab to deal with....doesn't tilt properly or easily I guess I should say.....you would really have to be short to wheel it around.

Plus, many of those shorter mid sized cabs sit fairly low, I like taller cabs....wish they would make 8x10's about 50" to 55" tall instead of 48". This way the top woofers are closer to my ears....which is why I like a stack of 4x10's over an 8x10.

One of my newer SKB racks does have a huge footprint. It's about 24" deep in total with the back and front covers on....so about 20" when it's open. There's a track on the bottom that just barely over 16", which is why a 16" cab just works....but will look very awkward. Even my old SKB is 20" deep. Well, the racks can work on a 16" deep cab....just looks wrong.