Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa/Ampeg/Hartke - - - Another annoying amp/cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by godspeed68, Mar 26, 2004.

1. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Alright, here's my dilema friends: I currently power my rig using the Mesa M-Pulse 600, obviously 600 at 4ohms, and can put out 750 at 2 ohms, but shouldn't be ran at 2 ohms for extended periods of time. I also have two cabinets, one ampeg SVT410HLF, which handles 500 watts at 4 ohms, and one Hartke 4.5XL cab, handling 400 watts at 8 ohms. Now, I have both of these cabs hooked straight into my amp, one cab for each speaker input on the amp. This should mean that my amp is running at a load of 2.67 ohms. My question is this: Am I risking damage to my cabinets by doing this? Being that I'm not the electricial expert, can anyone tell me how much power is actually going to both of my cabinets. I also have a BOSS GT-6B that is always on (in effects loop) giving me a definete boost in volume.

Call me stupid if you will, but sometimes they slightly hiss like im cooking bacon in a frying pan, which is undoubtedly bad for the cab.....give me some suggestions, and talk to me like I'm the most elementary bassist you have come across. haha, thanks.

Tom

2. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Tom,
    I also have am M-Pulse 600 but I haven't run it at 2 Ohms. I don't think it's a great idea to run any amp at 2 ohms. Running your 4 ohm and 8 ohm cab's in parallel won't harm your cab's but 2.7 ohms is still pretty much 2 ohms and will certainly heat up your amp. I'd say don't run down below 4 ohms with the Mesa. If you really need the additional speakers, trade the 4 ohm for another 8 ohm cabinet. The Mesa definetly sounds better at 4 ohms (additional headroom).

3. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I agree, the only thing is that it's just plainly not loud enough....so now, what about purchasing an additional power amp??? Would this solve the headroom problem??? I was looking at QSC stuff possibly....all so expensive. Otherwise, as far as the heat issue is concerned, what about mounting an additional fan inside of my rack case??? Also, what problems, if any, would I face when running the cabs in series???

tOm

4. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I wouldn't get an additional power amp the Mesa has more than enough headroom. Running the 8 ohm cab in series with the 4 ohm would put you at 12 ohms so your headroom would get worse. I don't think another fan would be the solution either. Not sure what ohm speakers you have in your cabinets but if your Hartke has 16 ohm speakers you could rewire 2 in parallel (8 ohms) the other 2 in parallel (8 ohms) then in series together (16 ohms). The 16 ohm in parallel with the 8 ohm (ampeg) would be 5.3 ohms. That would help your output some. Also if your Hartke has 4 ohm speakers you could connect them all in series to get 16 ohms.

5. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Does re-wiring the speakers have an affect on the amount of power they can handle???? Damn, all of these questions and this lack of knowledge make me feel that I shouldn't own good equipment :) thanks again for your help, but im sure ill have more to ask, thanks again. Also, I thought that the lower in ohmage you went, the more output you would have???

tOm

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Doubt you can hurt the 410HLF that way, or the Hartke.

Can't speak for the M-Pulse, but I kinda doubt you are hurting it ......

Frying bacon sound.....do you have the volume up and the horn at max on the 410HLF?

7. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The volume is up there, but the horn is set at 12'oclock on the control.....so now i guess you might say i need to turn down....but in the playing circumstance i'm in, i need more volume......got im lost....haha. help!???

tOm

--my main concern is, in fact, the "frying bacon" sound. I just want to know exactly what it is, and what may be causing it. if it makes a difference at all, it only happens when a lot of low end is being put out...say tapping in the high octave e range on e and a strings...

8. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Weird.....I moved my cabinets side by side instead of stacked (cabs in parallel)...and moved my rack so that it was on the hartke cab instead of the ampeg, and the "frying bacon" sound is completely gone....maybe the ampeg puts out more low end than the hartke, and was shaking the amp to the point that it would produce that sound....hmmm. well, at least for now, problem solved. thanks :)

tOm