1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mesa amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b-strung, May 17, 2011.

1. b-strung

b-strung

Feb 18, 2010
    LA
    I don't really get a good idea of which models are good for specific styles of music. I am guessing that the big block and carbine series are the rock amps. Does anyone use the M-pulse for rock?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You can use any amp for any genre of music. While some may be at the forefront of a genre, that by no means is an indicator that nothing else will work.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Exactly. Find the Mesa heads you want to try and play them. Rock tones are all over the the tonal spectrum.

4. That is correct, any head can essentially be used for any style of music. Some are just known as "rock heads or amps" because that is what is typically used by bands and artists in that style. I used my Peavey Tour 450 with my Mesa PH 6X10 cab in my band and we play loud rock and a few other styles mixed in there. Between tone of your bass and the amp with it's EQ's you can get pretty much any sound for anything really.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    M-pulse 600 user here - I mostly play modern rock, hard rock and metal, but this amp will do anything I ask of it... I typically use it thru either a PH810, PH610, or a 215 - and it more than holds it's own against a pair of Triple Rec half stacks...

IMAG0126.

- georgestrings

6. joshmat

joshmat

Nov 20, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The M-PULSE is definitely versatile. I've played on one in jam bands since 1999 ... Covering many genres and my mesa always delivers.

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Yup yup.

One of my all-time fave Mesa designs.

8. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    Mesa is awesome at everything!

But seriously, I get awesome rock tones out of my 400+ and diesel cabs, If you are patient enough to wait and buy used.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Mesa has several different "classes" of bass amps. Currently the Carbines, M3, M6, and M9 are the most solid state sounding, while the MPulse line, Walkabout, MPulse 600, Big Block 750, and Titan V12 are more "tubey" sounding. And then there's the older all tube offerings, which just plain rock. Big +1 to the idea that ANY amp is suitable to ANY style of music.

10. Search 'Exit State' on youtube, their bassist uses an M-Pulse through a PH210 and it sounds awesome.

Liam