Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Apr 2, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i hear the m-2000's are more geared for slappers and funksters? is that true? i hear for just flat out rock playing finger/plec style that it is nice low and warm sounding. anyone have any info on all that?

also what about the m-pulse's? ive played the 360 and loved it, great amp. had real nice lows and good thick mids and nice highs. it was definately a real punchy amp. what do you guys think?

2. Well seeing as how I decided to purchace the m-pulse 360 for myself, I would say it's a pretty awesome amp. I bought it for the tone, and it definetly has enough juice to preform. It was a toss up between the mesa and the ashdown, but after I tried both out for awhile, I had to have the mesa. I also tried some trace, swr and eden. I also mostly play fingerstyle.

If you like the mesa stuff go for it, it shows you have good taste in tone!:D

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, if you're a guitar player.

4. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    both of those are pretty good amps, but I would take a 400+ over either of them. what a great amp!

5. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't know if it's "geared" towards anyone in particular, but I use mine for fingerstyle prog rock/metal, and it serves me well. Of course, I'd love to try out a 400+ because of the tubey goodness and loudness, but I have no problems with my M-2000.

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    so its just kind of getting what you like? sounds good.

i suppose i've got another question: what so fancy about 400+ amps? i played one or two and they were ok, real warm. but not a tone of options, unless i missed something.:rolleyes:

7. its prolly the most versatile amp out there. it'll cover a lot of ground,especially the funk and punk range.

(I migrated styles for the last decade and this amp has followed me for most of it)

I played Matt Freeman style punk with nothing but great results, and compliments. Fat Mike used one during the Punk in drublic thru The Decline era's.

When I moved away from that style to a cleaner, more modern-fingerstyle technique the M2k served me better than it did for punk (which is a HUGE statement).

When I started playing country and funk, I found that I have the best amp for me (and most people have agreed). its thick, full and clear (albeit not hi-fi clear, but thats not what I wanted.
    Now I want this and a hi-fi Demeter+ bergie rig).

You'll have to pry this from my cold, dead, decayed hands.

Munji,
    With all due respect...Shut it! :D

Eden is for losers, nana-nana-boo-boo!!!

8. I was'nt blown away by Eden stuff.we would all be playin thru'em if they were the "last word said" in bass tone. get what sounds good to YOU..it may be Eden,it may be Mesa,it may be Peavey. try all the amps you can..I don't believe any amp is geared towards any style or genre...don't be afraid to "go off the beaten path" because you just might stumble onto a really great sound...BTW,I own a m-pulse 600 and very happy with it

9. I gotta tell ya, I tried both an Eden 300WT and a Mesa WalkAbout. The Mesa offered a larger pallate of tones, more volume, and a tube grind that the Eden just could not deliver. The Eden exhibited quieter operation (less fan noise) and that certain Eden tone that some bassists like... others don't.

In the end I bought the WalkAbout and have never looked back.

FWIW the WalkAbout is just a little M-Pulse with fewer bells and whistles than its bigger brothers.

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea, im noticing when i play the mesas they are offering a little more for me one way or the other. so thats good.

how do they size against swr? lately im leaning toward mesa, but the swr's can be warm and bright at the same time. what do you all think?

11. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Poor misguided Munji:p . "I don't want Eden, I'm a Mesa Boogie man". Mesa bass equipment I swear by. Eden is also good but not the only thing out there. What would you say if eden started making guitar equipment? Huh HUh?:confused: :D

12. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I find SWR to be cold and sterile-sounding...

13. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I recently bought a Mesa 400+, now my Eden WT 300 is just a back-up. I've found 3 main differences. 1st is volume, the Mesa delivers. 2nd, is punch, my drummer tells me after every practice how he can now hear EVERY note I play, despite the fact we've added a second g***ar player. It moves alot more air, the g***ar player in the line of fire says he can feel air move past him (about 6-7 feet away).

I think the main difference is in the band setting. At pre-practice, the Eden actually sounds better, once the band fires up, it's Mesa all the way.

And 3rd, I found with the Mesa, a couple of basses I didn't care for before suddenly gained an infusion of personality. I don't understand how it works, but with the Eden, on certain basses, PUP selection or on-board tweaking didn't make that big a difference in sound. With the Mesa, I no longer need my Fulltone Bassdrive, and a couple of basses are now keepers. It particularly woke up the Lakland, the Pedulla, and the Fbass. To a lesser extent the Roscoe, the Rob Allen, and even less the Sukop. I'm anxious to try the 535 through it.

Mark me a VERY satisfied Mesa user. Anybody want a mint Eden?

14. TCollins

TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    I have a M-2000 and a 400+ ...I very happy with both. I have used a Morley ABY switch so that I could use both.

I'm sure with a little tweaking you could get anything you like --from either.

I often switch amps throughout a gig (just to compare)...all I can report is that both amps sound great either together or separate

15. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    far out, ill think ill be investing in a mesa amp soon.

16. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    The BEST rig I've played through yet was my Mesa M-2000 with RoadReady 4x10 and 1x15. I was playing my '77 Stingray through this rig and it was unbelieveable tone and power. It just feels and sounds great. The cabinets were just too heavy to move by myself, so I've downsized.

I'm currently playing through an Ashdown ABM 300 and an Epifani 2x12. It sounds great, too, but doesn't have that knocking the walls down feel of the Mesa rig.

17. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea i was playing a std jazz through m-pulse 360 and powerhouse 210 and 115. and i was like...damn, this is insane. so yea, ill be going to the mesa camp for a while.

18. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, it's very versatile. The reason why people would say it's good for funk, punk, etc. is because even though it has a tube channel, the SS channel is VERY good. You can get a very crisp, defined high end without being too sizzly (unless you want too). Don't get me wrong, the tube side is good too, but it can't really match an all tube amp. Still, it's great for warmer, fatter sounds, which is why I use it.

The 400+ is like modern version of a vintage SVT--thick, loud, fat, all tube goodness. It's better than the M-2000 (and every amp other than a vintage SVT) for rock and tones similar to that. It is by no means as versitile as the M2k, but that's not what it was designed to be. The M2k will definitely do hi-fi sounds better and will give you a bigger a pallette. Deciding which one you want is entirely up to personal preference and need. Since I play fingerstyle rock/metal exclusively, I'd eventually like to get grubby hand on a 400+.

Also, remember that all Mesas need a little tweaking to get the sound you want. Even the least tweakabale ones will give you a bunch of sounds, so you'll need to experiment with the tone controls to get what you want. This is especially true with the M2K, which is possibly the most tweakable amp on the planet with about 40 knobs and switches on the face plate. For me, once I figured out that mids were what I wanted, I goosed the mid rotary knob, and found that by fine tuning the other knobs, both on the amp and on my bass, I got sounds that I liked very much.

You asked about SWR's in comparison with Mesa's. Personally, I think SWR's sound great in a small room (with a good setup) because they're really thick and have a clean bottom end. But other than that, they're too sterile for my tastes. I'm a midrange guy, and I like a little grind/edginess in my tone, and I found that SWR did not give me this. Of course my experience with them is limited, and I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but I am just telling you my experience. I've played through several heads, including the SM-900 and the infamous silver one with built in effects (damn I can't remember the model number). The 900 was great. But again, it lacked the grind that I wanted (the Mesa gives me plenty of that). It would be great for slap tones and very clean sounds. The silver one didn't impress me at all. I didn't like the tones I got, and I hated the effects. A no-brainer IMO.

Anyway, hope this helps.

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My 400+ and '70 SVT are my favorite all-tube bass amps. They sound quite different. They each do a number of things very well. To over-simplify things to an almost ridiculous degree, the Mesa is very fat and the SVT has lots of grind. Everything else is pretty much personal preference. They both ROCK! And they're both loud. And heavy. :cool:

BTW, I run the 400+ with Mesa Road Ready cabs; 1x18, 2x15 and 4x10. Individually and in combinations. And I run the '70 SVT with a '70 SVT Ampeg 8x10 cab...exclusively.

20. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    cool guys lots of help. yea i will definately look into the 400+. im banking on that or an m-pulse. although due to the options id like an m2k. thanks guys