Mesa and Aguilar heads are the best!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Man those Mesa heads are hard to beat the 360 and the 600. And the Aguilar 750 pumps some killer tone too. I am getting one or the other.
  2. I'd get the Aguilar if you can spare the extra money.
  3. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I must whole heartedly agree. Its weird, these two companies work really well together for some reason. I use a Mesa head with Aguilar Cabs. I suppose if I could afford Aguilar Heads, I would get them, but in terms of bang for the buck, the Mpulse was hard to say no to. The Mesa has great tone and great customer service, but then again so does Aguilar. I spent a long time looking for a head that I was happy with and I narrowed it down to these two. Ultimately they were very similar when played through the same cabs. The Aguilar did have the allure of the All Tube sound, however I must persist that the Mesa was inredible sounding too and it had a lot more tonal flexibility (footswitches, built in compression). However sometimes I wish I didn't have so many options. Aguilars motto of "if it sounds good, you don't need 8 million knobs to make it sound any better", really appeals to me in its simplistic senses. Okay... the rant is over.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You definitely need to check out more gear...
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Word! ;)
  6. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I have chekced out alot of other and so so better gear and those two are the best sounding in my opinion.
  7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    So you checked out a Glockenklang BassArt head or a Tech Soundsystems Black Cat head or a Warwick ProTube IX (which isn't even available in the US)?

Or a Reussenzehn Bass tube preamp? A Glockenklang Bugatti pre/poweramp rig?

Just wondering. To say something is THE BEST is a moot point IME.
  8. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Well excuse me! No I have not tried that gear you list. No would I really want too because it does not look like if is meant for my needs which are small, compact, and punch.
  9. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Into the Thunderdome with you both!!!:eek:

;) :D
  10. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Oh, I'm not. Neither pissy nor pissed.

Hm, so a 2-rackspace amp with all-tube point-to-point wiring coupled with a 1 kilowatt digital poweramp with a weight of 6.5kg (Tech Soundsystems Black Cat) is not small, compact and punchy? ;)

Ignorance is bliss, as they say.
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

for him they rock, and that's all that matters. :bassist:

but i still must try all these european brands, people keep raving about.

but yea, funny how Mesa and Aguilar gear do work exceptionally well together.

and Mesa seems to work great with everything. after hearing Tombolus go on about his Walkabout, i finally got a chance to try one with my Epifani 3x10UL, and WOW, was really lovin' the tones! very impressed. thought the Epifani would bring out the shortcomings in the Mesa, but the Mesa complemented it beautifully.
  12. I agree with the fact that Mesa and Aguilar amps are good quality pieces of equipment. However... your looking at the comapny's lower end equipment. Personally, I would look into Aguilar and Mesa's All tube Equipment, because that's really what each comapny specializes in, as far as I'm concerned.

I dunno, it just seems like your missing the best part of these companies... the all tube amps.

Yah, if your into hybrids.... Look into Glock, I'd definately get into their stuff if i ahd the money or the need for a new amp.

13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    When you throw out a thread titled "brand X and brand y are the best" and offer very little if anything to support it, you better be wearing flame retardant underoos.

Sure it is just opinion, but at least throw us a bone for discussion.
  14. Hmm. Euro-gear....And where might one acquire or play-test such foriegn equip?

Jeeze, chill...The dude wants a good reliable cadillac, not a ferrari.
  15. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Like I said, I'm cool. But if somebody posts a title like that, he better be prepared. :p

Like Chasarms said.

And you wouldn't call a Caddy the best car in the world, would ya?
  16. Yeah...this or that's THE best...c'mon; it's music and tone we're talkin' about here - probably the most subjective subject to even discuss!

And just for the sake of talkin' about 'Ferrari's'...I got lucky enough to play through one at a recent outdoor event...but before you get too excited about a new purchase...You'll have to cash in those mutual funds you've been saving for your retirement. Anyway, it was 2 powered (4000 watt) Meyer Bros. floor monitors at around $9,000 a pop and 135lbs. I guess all I can say can LITERALLY blow yours (and everyone else within 100 feet of their directions) eardrums into oblivion with the cleanest, fattest (or grungiest...depending on your preamp) soundwaves producable by man! - But then again, most of us DON'T drive Ferraris!
    The soundman just chuckled as I showed initial interest in 'picking up a couple' for my new dream rig. - He gave me an education...I think I'll stick with my rig for a little while longer.