Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Basis M-2000 as a first amp a good idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MentalBass, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Hey all,

I've got an opportunity to pick up a Mesa Boogie Basis M-2000 for cheap. What say you fellow bass players? If you've read my other posts, I'm looking for a very versatile amp. I've read quite a few reviews that say the M-2000 can do anything from a true SVT overdrive to modern hi-fi, with power to spare. 625W into 4 Ohms. Would this be the perfect amp for me to start out with? I'm really thinking it could be, given the price I'd be paying; I'd say no more than $500 CAD. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Peace!

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My personal feeling is that buying that amp is like learning to swim by jumping into the deep end of the pool. I'm not gonna tell you not to do it, but you're going to be confronted with a LOT of features and adjustability that you're probably not going to versed enough in to use effectively, and could be detremental to your sound.

That said, if it is such a good deal, I'd probably do it. You'll have one hell of a learning curve though.

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    +1 on the whole post.

The Basis 2000 is a very complicated amp from what I've heard. Finding your sound will be hard, much moreso than with (nearly?) any other amp on the market.

It will have its rewards, but it will be a steep learning curve. Versatality with that amp comes with a price that will be daunting for awhile.

If you don't want it, I do. Buy it and sell it to me for that same price in USD. ;)

That price is a steal. Pick it up, if for no reason other than to put it into storage until you get your feet wet.

4. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I would just buy it and the read. Read the manual, read up online about the features etc.

If its too much (just set it flat and leave it ;) ) then sell it for a profit.

5. I'm literally trading my M2000 in toward my second TF550 on Monday! Quite frankly, it's a FANTASTIC amp... the ability to mix that transistor side with the tube side can really sound good... how can you not like an amp with six different treble controls (a shelving control, a bright switch, and the treble end of the graphic on each channel)? Awesome. It really put out the wump also.

So, why am I getting rid of it ?.... basically, it's a little heavy for me, I don't use the wonderful switching capability that it offers, and once I get it set the way I like it.... it kind of sounds like the Thunderfunk sound I like!!!! Anyway, it's not as complicated as people would make you believe... the manual is great, and if you just think of it as two separate preamps that can be used separately or together in any ratio, it's not a big deal. So, for example... if you turn the blend control to 100% tube and switch off the graphic and the compression, you have a very straightforward and great sounding 'tube amp' with the typical controls... gain, bass, mid, treble and master... nothing to it ;)

Enjoy it... it's a high quality piece of gear. I wish I was more of a tone tweaker on the gig, but I end up doing most of that with my touch and on-board EQ.

PM me if you have any questions once you get it.

Finally, if you can dig up the old Bass Player review from the late 90's... the article identifies all the frequencies of the rotary controls, bright switches, etc... the manual doesn't go into that technical detail... I found that helpful in understanding the huge differences between the two preamps (in addition to the tube vs. transistor thing).

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    GET IT! I bought a Mesa M2000 for my amp, and yes, it was intimidating. However, Mesa includes recommended settings in their manual that are pretty damn good. I started in by dialing in the "rock" setting on the tube side, and slowly learned how to tweak it over time. Download their manual and try out the recommended settings, cuz for that price you can't let it go.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've tried 'em several times, and I don't like 'em. In spite of the extensive tone controls, I couldn't round up any tones I considered decent, and I'm a veteran knob tweaker.

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Different strokes for different folks...

I love the sound of the M-2000 -- major caveat, I've never played one live with a band, which is the acid test.

+1 on read the manual.
    Before tweaking, set everything flat, all compressors off, set the preamp switch to blend, and just use the preamp blend control to dial in a tone you like.

If you want (and why not), tweak from there.

I think it sounds great with about 95% SS & 5% Tube and everything else flat -- but I like fast and punchy (BTW: it still has plenty of warmth set like this).

If all else fails, you can probably sell it for what you bought it for (if not more).

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    You gotta start somewhere... i say try it out.

10. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    M-2000's are great amps, period. You just have to take the time to acquaint yourself with all of the features.

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Most of us probably started on a lot worse! Worst case scenario, you'll discover in a few years it's not "your thing" and you'll be able to off it for what you have into it.

12. Hey all,

Many thanks for the quick and helpful replies. I just realized that the footswitch isn't included with the amp. How likely is it that I will be able to find a matching footswitch for the M-2000 (cable and all) in the near future? Do people sell accessories like that often?

Thanks in advance!

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    That's a STUPID good price. If you don't like it, you can certainly make a profit on it. Go for it!

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I would think the likelyhood would be small.

15. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Dude, thats a steal for $500. But if you end up passing, consider the GK1001RB series II. $600, 700 watts @4ohms, Great punchy tone. Pretty simple and straightforward to operate, and the rewards are easily won with very little learning curve.

16. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    You should have to get a Peavey, just like lots of us started on. Then you will appreciate the Mesa.

17. :D Hard to disagree with that logic...