1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Bass 400 IS HERE! (questions...)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Visirale, May 5, 2006.

1. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Well, it just got here (AHHH I LOVE IT). Just a few questions. Is the fan supposed to be kind of noisy? Like it's on low now, but it's quite a bit noisier than my SVT-350 was. No problem once I turn it up thugh ;).

Amazing volume. It's running six 6L6 powertubes (only around 150 watts). Right now I have the gain at 10 and the master at 2 or 3, and it's shaking the whole house.

I'm definitely thinking about taking the Mesa 410 cab I got back to guitar center, because the speakers are just kind of crappy. I think I can find another cab that will sound better for cheaper (still a used mesa though :) )

I'll get some pictures as soon as I find some AA batteries.

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

My 400+ fan is noticeble but not overly loud. As for cabs, I gotta tell ya to give a good look at the Aguilar S410 that MusiciansFriend.com is blowing out for $379. I have the 2x10 version and am very impressed (as most others are). It sounds KILLER with a tube head.

3. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    Mesa 400 and 400+ love 12's.

I would check them out as well.

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

Rob Elrick on bassgear.com is selling a Mesa Diesel 2x15. ;)
    With that head and that cab? There's not a lot of small-medium sized critters you couldn't kill at 100 yards!

5. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Haha, I've heard about using a 215 with the head. Sadly, I sold my old 810 because my dad sold his truck and I couldn't fit in into my car. That aguilar is tempting. I could see a nice 410 212 rig coming out of that ;).

I'm still looking into this other diesel 410 cab, but I'm not sure. I love the sound but, holy crap is it heavy. I can't even lift it into my car by myself without breaking a sweat, and I'm a varsity athlete... haha.

But yeah, I love the tone... this thing shines with chords... so warm.

Still looking for some batteries.

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

If you have the dough, the Berg NV610 is truly the way to go... Outshines an Ampeg 810 and is FAR more portable...

7. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Ok, I found one AA battery in the entire house, and it powered the camera just long enough to snap a few shots.

Behold: :)

Attached Files:

8. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    And the obligatory glowing tube picture....

Attached Files:

9. I thought the 400 was a bass amp? :eyebrow: :rollno: :p :bassist:

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I've heard nothing but great things about the 400. I have the 400 +, which has 2 channels and 12 6L6's. To me, if you're getting the volume you want with 6 power tubes, then grreat. I do like the idea of the very distributed load that using 12 6L6's provides. My fan, on low, is just barely noticable, and I was thinking that maybe the fan in the "plus" is not as powerful (and therefore not as loud) because it doesn't need to be - not sure on that one.

Curious, does the 400 have 2 channels, the bass and treble "push/pull" features, and the graphic EQ?

FWIW - I've been using my SVT-410HLF with my 400+ and I love the sound I'm getting. I'm going to try the 400+ with my SVT610HLF for the first time today - should sound killer. But I'm not an Ampeg bigot - there are so many great sounding cabs out there. The one I would certainly be checking out is the Diesel 2X15 posted earlier.

Good luck with your new tone monster, and congratulations.

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Well, the pics you posted just answered my questions. It came with the case? Nice. I wonder if the 400 and 400 plus are the same size and will use the same case. Any idea how much the case goes for?

12. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Yeah, the 400 has two channels, all of the push/pull stuff, and a 6 band (as opposed to 7 band) graphic EQ.

The power section can be upgraded to be just as powerful as the 400+, but I couldn't imagine how much louder that would be. When I retube, I might consider getting KT-88's to bring it into the same numbers... but right now the 6L6's are insanely loud.

13. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    If you run the 6550's in the 400 that is was designed to also be able to run, it should be very close to the 400+ in power output. (The 400 also has a higher plate voltage, so 6L6's in a 400 will put out more than half of what 12 will do in a 400+. The 400+ pulled the voltage back, and as such, is kinder to a lot of the "cheesy" offshore tubes that are the norm now as opposed to when the 400 was being built . . . ).

Fan wise, on low, my 400+ is very quiet. Fan bearings can get tired with age, though. Is the noise just blower "whirrr" as it were, or more like a rattle? If the latter, it's new fan time, but the good news is that it is a pretty generic fan, and should be cheap.

- Tim

14. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Yeah, it's definitely more of a rattle than a whirr. I'll look into getting a replacement.

Oh wow. I just dialed in some overdrive on this thing... definitely the sweetest overdrive that I've ever had. This is the sound I was looking for back when I had my muff. I love it :).

I can't wait to get an ABY box so I can have a "clean" channel and a "dirty" channel... and play with mixing them both.

I'm gonna take my 410 back for a refund sometimes next week. I'll see if they still have my ampeg stack... if not, then I'll just take the cash and try to get the other diesel 410 that I've seen on the market... it appears to be in much better shape.

Then I might look into a 115, but I really can't see how I'll need it. I just want the extra kick for live situations.

Holy crap though... this thing is a beast and I'm estatic :)

15. Dirty secret of Boogie. I am not sure that they still do this, but they used to take EV's "force" speaker, which is a 150 watter and put the 15L magnet on it, which is a 400 watter. Makes a very loud speaker, but also one that is sensitive to abuse.
    As far as cabs. nothing beats 15"s on a 400. I have tried everything and running 2 15" cabs or a single dual 15 is just pure thick tone. If you can get the road ready 2x15. It will flatten anything. I think I will fire my 400 up when I get home.
    BTW the preamps in the 400 and 400 + are identical, its teh poweramps that are different. I thought about upgrading to the 400+ but then I'd have too much headroom!
    about teh410. I found those too pingy with the 400. Ditto for the 1516b. A lot of guys actually get the 210 and a 1x15 or 1x18. If you can you want to get the pre diesel/roadready cabs. Backwhen they made one style of cabs they were MUCH better

16. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    This thread has me pumped. My next paycheck in two weeks I'm gonna have the cash for one of these suckers. Unless a TE pops up I'm going for a 400+.

You'll love the A/B/Y. I did that for years with my guitar head and have missed the hell out of it. Tube overdrive is like a sonic orgasm. I'm just going to have to find a better distortion/fuz pedal to go on top of the tube for when I want some realy nasty distorted tone.

I imagine a 4X10 +2X12 would sound killer with this head. I think that may be the direction I go in although some of you guys have me GAS'n for a NV610...

17. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Hmmm... so what fan should I get to replace the stock one?

I'm probably going to return my cab on either thursday or friday, and all else going well, pick up the other one on saturday.

I'm trying to decide if I want to get a 115 or not. Maybe a 112... not sure. I would like one, but I think that the 410 has tons of bass by itself, and I don't know if I could justify another cab... I don't even play very many huge things.

I might use the money to get a complete retube on the head with eurotubes, then take it to a pro and get everything cleaned up. I think that will be better-spent money than on a 115.

Still love it though :)

Anyone know about the Startouch A/B/Y pedals? They seem pretty nice...

18. I tried t tell ya last week....

400 and the 810 :bassist:

19. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Hahaha I know I know. I want to have it so badly. The ampeg 810 just demands respect. It might not exactly have amazing clarity, but nothing does when you crank it up.

If only I had a vehicle to move it around with :(.

Well after college, I will most definitely be getting some kind of truck to move gear with.

20. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Bergantino 610 is an Ampeg 810 on steriods but a lot lighter. My 610 is even lighter than a lot of 410s I have had to lug around. But last night I had a gig which included a nice staircase to climb, and since I was the first one ther (my band was opening) I got to lug up my 610, my 215 that the guitarist is currently using, my Bergantino 210, stack up the 610 on top of the 210, somehow manage to top it with the 400+, and then the drum kit arrived :bawl: . Point of the story is: Bergantino 610 saved me from quitting my band. I would not have coped nearly as well with a heavy Ampeg 810 :scowl: