MESA BASS 400+ on the way to me!! =) how will it sound with my SWR Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Hello guys!
    Soon I will be owner of a Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ head.
    I had a good buy, it costed me 1400 Euros (used, but in very good condition, no EQ footswitch). There is only one store left in Austria where it's available yet and there it costs 2500 Euros, hehe. So I am very happy that I've got it more than 1000 Euros cheaper! :)
    My previous rig was: SWR 550 x head + SWR Goliath III 4x10 cab.
    I will sell the head because it wasn't my thing at all and keep the SWR Cab until i have saved more money for something better.
    Can you tell me how the Mesa head will sound with the SWR Cab? Has anybody tried this?
    Another question:
    I've never owned an all tube head before, the seller told me the tubes are new, so there's no need to replace them.
    What else should I take care of or keep in mind when switchig from the SWR 550x to the Mesa 400+?

Thanks, for your input.
    bye :bassist:
  2. It 's gonna sound awful.

I'll be so nice and buy it from you for ... i have my good day today... 200€uros. :D

(Congrats on the deal.. it goes for twice the price new, i guess)
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You're going to be surprised at how 'full' it sounds compared to a solid state amp.

No need to worry about yer set up...just remember to plug in yer cab before powering up. Spend some time searching these forums for the lowdown on the 400+ control setup and tone controls...they're not like most bass amps.
  4. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I have heard that is an awesome setup and may try it someday myself. Let is us know how it goes!
  5. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It will sound superb. I ran my Bass 400+ into an SWR Goliath I (one of the originals) for a while and it sounded great. The Goliath I has a little more bottom than the III, due to the different design (rear-porting, dofferent speakers, etc) but I'll bet you'll still be in good shape!
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Should be OK. I previously owned two 400+'s and the only cabs it really didn't work well with were rather inefficient high-end cabs like Bergantino. I thought the 400+ sounded its best, btw, with Mesa cabs. But I'm guessing the SWR will work fine. Good luck.
  7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I haven't tried mine with any of the H series Bergies, and can see where that may be a mismatch, but it IS magnificent with an Bergantino NV 610.
  8. hello,
    yeah, a friend would like to sell me this mesa cab used.

I guess the 400+ will sound better with this than with the SWR, but at the time my budget is so low that I nearly can't buy some beers on weekend, :meh:

whatever... thanks for all the input.
  9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Very nice cab, but HEAVY I'd guess.
  10. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good point. Jim's NV series are undoubtedly a great match for a 400+. Mine were all HT's. Shoulda made that clear.
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    its gonna be like molten maple syrup pouring from your speakers... :hyper: