Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MESA bass 400+ or AGUILAR DB 728?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j.s.basuki, Sep 11, 2002.

1. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Nowadays I use AMPEG SVT 2 power section to power Aguilar DB 680 Preamp. Since I want to increase the power, I am considering either to purchase Mesa 400 + or Aguilar DB 724.

Aggie is 400 Watts while Mesa is 500 with extra preamp built in. Mesa is cheaper than Aggie anyway.

Any suggestion? Thanks!

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I bought a used Aggie for $1000 on ebay over a year ago. Not a single regret. A great amp. It is very warm, clean, and articulate. It it also built better than any amp I have seen.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Depending on personal taste, you may like the tone of the Ag better but the Mesa will be louder. OTOH, you may want the fatness that is unique to a 400+. One of a handful of truly great all-tube production bass amps being made these days.

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Keep in mind that the Mesa is an integrated head with a preamp and power amp while the Aguilar is strictly a power amp. Also, from all that I've read here the Mesa actually puts out 500W only for peaks, RMS it is rated ~300W.

5. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Also keep in mind that the Mesa has 12 tubes vs. the Aggies 8. I haven't played the DB728,, but if you were going to buy them new I doubt I could justify paying twice as much just for the power with no preamp.

6. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

If you are going to count tubes, you should also talk about the type of tubes used. :rolleyes:

The Mesa has 12 6L6 tubes, each can put out about 25 watts for a total of 300 watts. The Aguilar has 8 6550s. Each puts out about 50 watts for a total of 400 watts. Plus the 6550 stay clean through most of their range. 6L6s, which is your basic Fender g**tar amp tube starts to distort much earlier.

7. bassboat

bassboat

Sep 27, 2001
    Well yeah, but the tubes are different, and sound quite a bit different. The Aggiehas 8 6550's and two preamp tubes used as drivers. The Mesa uses 6L6's, I think.
    Different transformers, topology, everything. Worth really listening to the difference.
    I like the DB 728, it's like a super-high fidelity tube amp.

8. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yes yes yes guys,, sorry. I know the difference,, I just felt like making an incredibly juvenile comment!:D

9. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    It IS a super-high fidelity tube amp. :D

note: report of the 6550 -> KT88 swap will be here soon.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jeez, right now I just don't know.

11. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Know what, Munji?

12. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I think I better ask Mesa, if it is really only 300 watts and 500 watts peaks.

Those types of valves make me
    :confused:

13. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Listen, don't get all hung up on the wattage thing. Paired with the rirhgt cab(s) either of these amps will easily produce more volume than you will need for almost any gigging situation.

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    True. Very true.

15. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The 6L6's in the Bass 400+ put out more than 25 watts each. The head is rated at 500 watts. That is a sick amount of power for a tube head. My Mesa Walkabout is rated at 300 watts, and it is really loud. 500 tube watts would be amazing.

16. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

The 500 watts is peak power. The average power is about 300 watts.

17. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I got the reply from MESA, the head produce 300 Watts RMS and 600 watts peak. While Aguilar is 400 Watts RMS.
    I know even 300 Watts of tube is a lot, surprisingly like the Amped SVT 2 used with DB 680 gives more bottom and fatness and punch than the Crown solid state amp at 1000 Watts RMS. I even use QSC 3402 [ 700watts 8 Ohm stereo] , alot of power but it sounds dry and thin.
    Even Wayne Jones himself [I use a pair of his cab] advise me to use big power solid state [ 700 watts each at 8 Ohm], but now I believe myself that tube amps is the way to go.
    I am willing to carry that weight of tube amp to get amazing tone.

That is why I am thinking of DB 728, curious to know what will I get ?;)

18. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

The Aguilar DB 728, IMO, is a very hi-fi mono tube amp. Much more so than Ampeg or Mesa. (I am not knocking either, they are both great, just not as hi-fidelity.) These things are more on par with very high-end tube stereo equipment. It just fits nicely in a 4 space rack.

If you are going to get one, you should consider how you are going to house it. I put mine in a separate 4-space shock-mounted rack case with wheels. The amp and case go about 100lbs. The size is small enough to be easily removeable.

19. j.s.basuki

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Thanks LO-Z, would it be better to put it together with the DB preamp, or it'll make too much weight.
    I do not use any effect anyway only Korg tuner in my rack. Who make the wheeled case for you?

I think I am sure to get one of DB 728.

20. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Well, that's up to you. I don't have a roadie, so I think keeping the amp seperate helps. Besides, I put my amp beside my cab and place the pre-amp rack on top for easier control.

I had the case custom made. Mesa Boogie sells a very good one too.