1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Bass Prodigy & mpulse together questions??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jsuwinski777, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    So i recently purchased a mesa bass prodigy and am in love with it! It has a very nice crunch, I play in a metalcore band it it's the perfect fit.. I also have a mesa mpulse 600 that I would like to use the EQ and compressor from. My question is how do I connect the mpulse to the prodigy safetly and effectively? I will be using either my mesa 610 tradionta sealed or my guitar plays ampeg 810. I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff, just trying to learn. Thanks. Attached is pics of the amps

Attached Files:

2. The slave out of the mpulse goes to the fx return on the Prodigy. That should turn your Prodigy into a simple power amp with all the preamp action coming from the mpulse.

Since the mpulse has level control you could potentially turn that way down and go into the front of the Prodigy instead.

If you get a hum I think you are stuffed from ground loop syndrome.

3. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Ok thanks I will try that. What do you mean I can go to the front of the prodigy instead?

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The front input on the Prodigy is instrument level, the effects send on the M-Pulse is line level.

5. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    I tried what you said slave out on mpulse to effects return on prodigy and I wasnt getting anything but wierd noises

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Because there were unknown mods done with effects loops over time, especially by the DIY community, I can't be sure why you got the results you did.

two fingers likes this.
  7. Try working the slave out level control back and forth.

8. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    I did and nothing man :(

9. Jsuwinski777

Jsuwinski777

Mar 1, 2017
    Man, I REALLY want this to happen. I am in love with this Prpdgy, but would be even better with EQ and compression. Does anybody else know anything I can do to make this happen?

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    First, you always keep the cab connected to the Prodigy when playing thru it.

If your first attempt using the slave out jack didn't work, then use the effects send jack from the MPulse to the effects return jack on the Prodigy.

11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Also, when using your MPulse all by itself and you don't have any effect pedals or modules plugged into the effects loop, then I wouldn't leave that mini toggle swith to "on".

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019