Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Bassis M-2000... Wow!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deiseldave2001, Jan 13, 2004.

1. I just bought a used Mesa M-2000. It is way, way better than I had anticipated. I bought it figuring that (if it didn't suck)I could just dial a good fingerstyle tone and good slap tone on the seperate channels, and switch between them. Well, I did that (both very nice). Then started playing with the switchable eq's, overdrive, channel blend, compressors... My God! Is there anything it won't do well? It's all good. How rare is that ? I am pissed at myself because I remember when these came out, and at the time, I thought it was hype, and since nobody had them in stock, dropping $1K+ on suspected hype wasn't happening. I never gave them a second thought, until I saw one on EBay a couple of weeks ago for a nice price, and thought, ehh, I'll try it and sell it if I hate it. Wow!
    So how many of you already own one of these, and what are you're feelings about them ? Am I just experiencing new buyer's gush, or are they really that good ?
    Dave

2. Congrats on an excellent buy,
    Going on two months now with mine...Still amazed by how perfect it is for me. Ah....I actually still get excited when I realize that I have such a nice head. It sounds twice as good when paired with a couple mesa 410s too.

3. I bet! I will be using mine with an Eden 2X10MBX wedge. The wedge in front helps keep bass bleed over the vocal mics down to a minimum. When I used to use full cabs behind me, every time I hit a note, the vocal channels on the board would light up big time. Now I can pump the stage volume from the wedge, and the vocal channels don't even light. It really helps the out front mix alot, and the stage mix hasn't suffered.

4. Is that it ? I'm surprised to not see a bigger M-2000 crowd.

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Dave,
    I haven't played through an M-2000 but I recently purchased a M-Pulse 600 and if the M-2000 sounds anything similar to the M-Pulse 600 (and I'm sure that it does) I can understand your excitement! I've played primarily SWR and pre/power amp rigs over the last 20 years and quite honestly I was pretty happy with my sound. But I was always trying to get that phat warm sound assocciated with a vacuum tube amp and it always sounded too thin. The instant I plugged into the Mesa (using an SWR Goliath cab) the sound was there. I couldn't believe how full the sound was on the stage! And my cab is 8 ohms. I'm not even optimizing the potential power of the amp! I've heard a few players state that it didn't come close to the old SVT sound but after hearing it I'd have to disagree. It's got the sound without the tempermental/expensive power tubes and it has the capability of much more. The footswitchable Compressor, 5-band parametric, solo (parallel master) and effects-loop are indeed icing on the cake!:bassist:

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I've got an M-2000 and to my dismay the foot pedal doesn't work. I bought it used from a guy who had never used the foot pedal and low and behold it doesn't work. However for $700 I can afford a little bit extra to get the pedal fixed.

As for tone I love it. Although I think the M-Pulse 600 gets a slightly better tube tone (though not really that noticable) it lacks all the features of the M 2000. Many find the 2000 too complex to use, but I love having all the options.

None of you would think about getting rid of your footswitch eh?

7. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    is the M-2000 discontinued? it's not on the mesa site…

8. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
  9. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I had an M-2000, the best sounding amp I've had yet. I played mine through two Road Ready cabs - a 4x10 and 1x15. Incredible, powerful tone. My '77 Stingray through that rig was the best I ever sounded.

I sold mine with a footswitch that I never used, hope it wasn't me...

10. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I doubt that the problem is in your footswich. Nothing much to tear up there except switches and it's very unlikely that all 4 switches went out at the same time. You may want to ohm out your FS cable and make sure that you have continuity at both ends (connectors). Check it pin to pin. If you don't have a VOM I'm sure a local tech could do it for you fairly cheap.

11. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I talked to mesa and they said a replacement footswitch cable is only $68 (ffs). I'm gonna take it in anyways to have them take a look at it.

12. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    BTW, if anyone happens to be going to NAMM and thinks they could help with the footswitch LMK :p

13. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    SMASH, the cool thing about the M-2000 is that it has two completely independent pre-amps. One is all tube, and one is FET. Each pre has rotary eq as well as a 9-band graphic eq (switchable) and you can footswitch between tube/high-gain tube/FET/or a blend of tube and FET (controlled by a pot in the middle).

14. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, the major differences are in the tube and compressor circuits. I think the M-Pulse 600 wins in the tube game between it and the 2000. However the compression in the 2000 is much better than the M-Pulse.

15. Oh man, I wish that strings didn't die on me so quick. After about two months I changed the strings today. It SO brought my M-2000 back to life. I was starting to forget how good it could sound. (I know, but no matter how many years I play, changing strings gets me excited like a 5 year old.)

I can't believe how good it sounds, even through crappy speaker cabinets.

Yep, still excited after all this time.

16. Damn I love this thing!

17. It's easy to dial either a slap tone or finger tone on either channel.
    But to make it stage ready, I've dialed in the solid state side to a good slap tone with 5:1 compression only on the peaks and selected on about 400hz and below (to even the volumes between fingerstyle and slap a bit). Beautiful. Now, I like the tube side for R&B fingerstyle so it's running gain high, and master volume low (which isn't fuzzy), but you can tell that 6db more gain would break up a bit...very warm and nice, old school 60's R&B. Now the graphic for the tube side... crooked smile.. John Paul Jones.. Big time. Now the graphic on the Fet side crooked frown = finger funk clean & nice . OK, that's alot.... and all these are just a footswitch away. Now the gain switch gives an increased drive to the tube channel. By leaving the R&B tube gain setting (3 o'clock), and clicking the gain switch = nazzy Geezer-esque, and by clicking the mix button, and rolling towards the bridge pickup... Geddy, Squire facimile (not as nice as thier's, but very useable) Damn, that's alot!
    2 rack spaces... I'm totally blown away. I've contacted Jensen transformers, and they are drawing me up a schematic to move the DI (post setting) to just before the master volume, so stage volume changes don't effect the DI feed. I'm going to install a JT-DB-E in place of the existing DI (mainly to support Jensen for helping mod it, and it's the best transformer IMHO).
    Now don't get me wrong, it's tube sound is not the best I've ever heard (when compared with SVT, 400+), but really freakin' good. Solid state sound is as good or better than GK or the like, compressers are very nice and do thier job well, seperate graphics are very useful, gain switch, and mix mode are total icing. But the thing that is freaking me out is that all the features are above 90% on my pro gear standard, and all assigned to footswitches. Click - authentic R&B, Click - studio Slap, Click - real deal John Paul Jones, etc...
    I recently bought a Mesa Quad preamp for guitar and love it. This thing just ensures me that Mesa Boogie is the Ampeg/Marshall/Vox/whatever of our time. OK, I'm done. Recommended A+++