Mesa BB vs Any Combo of Pre/Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timidbassist, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Ok, so ive been looking into the Big Block 750 but havent been able to find anyone that has them yet but am still waiting as i dont want to buy it before playing it, but ive been wondering... Are there any pre amps out there that have as good of an aggressive rock sound that i could look into and then just get a power amp? Let me know what you guys know.
  2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    A QSC PLX+SansAmp RBI setup would do ya fine for rock-type stuff... But I say get Mesa, anyways... ;)
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes and no. If you are considering the BB's "clean" tone, then my guess is that you can find something that approximates what you are after (go to and check out the preamps). But, if you dig the "overdrive" tone, then you might not be able to find that in a preamp (though a preamp and seperate overdrive/distortion unit might get you close). I have not heard the BB yet, but from what I have read, and my experience with its baby brother, the Walkabout, I suspect that it really nails that aggressive, overdriven rock tone.
  4. I have no played or heard a BB myself either, im trying desperatly to find somewhere that i can play one, but anyway. I have played the MPulse 600 and was pretty impressed with its very nice tube sound, but it doesnt have a a tube overdrive channel. I have heard from many people that the BB has a better rock aggressive sound even for the clean channel so i really am interested in this amp.