Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Big Block 750 any body have one yet????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Char-Lee, May 30, 2004.

1. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I just order a Mesa Cabinet setup (power house 2x10 and power house 1x15) and I'm almost a 100% sure on buying the new Big Block 750. I was wondering if anybody out there has played one, or if they own one and if they could let me know there feelings on this amp.

Thanx

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    There's some guy on here that has one. I can't remember his name.

I have yet to really sit down with one and examine it in depth. I understand it's supposed to be more open sounding than the MPulse 600, especially at high volumes. The overdrive is modeled after their Bottle Rocket pedal, and may actually be just a modified BR circuit.

I wish they had made it 1000 watts to really separate it from the MPulse 600, but I understand that it's slightly louder despite the only 150w difference.

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Too my knowledge it's 750 watts at 2 ohms, the cabs your running will put it at a 4 ohm load. You won't achieve the full power from this.

I could be wrong though.

4. Spot on! The Mpulse 600 delivers more power at 4 ohms.

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'd like to hear input on this as well. I've not yet seen one to sit down and mess with yet. I think it was made in mind to compete with the Aguilar DB750. I agree it should've been 1000 @ 2 ohms to really give it a run for it's money. The DB runs 750@4 ohms.

6. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    Yeah the Big Block is 750 watts @2ohms, and 575 watts @4ohms, I'm not a huge fan of the M-Pulse 600 head and the simplicity really appeals to me

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Actually, I don't think that's correct. The Mesa site says it's suggested load is 2 ohms MINIMUM, but it doesn't necessarily say that 2 ohms is the suggested load. I believe it's 750 into 4 ohms. Anybody have an owners manual to confirm this?

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    True. The M-Pulse has a minimum load of 2 ohms as well, but it's not the recommended one. Donno about the 750. Maybe it's 900 like the DB750?

9. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    Yeah I spoke with Mesa and its 750 @ 2ohms, 575 @ 4ohms, I think I'm going to just order it , I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Let me know how it sounds, as I'm sure it'll just rock. :) I picked up a 2x10 PH today to compliment my 1x15, so I'm happy as hell about that!

11. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    Do you like the 210 PH with the 115 PH? What kind of music are you playing with it? Just curious rig hasn't shown up yet so I'm kind of nervous.

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Oh man, you can stop that right about now. :) IMO, Mesa gear coupled with other Mesa gear is some of the best sounding stuff out there. I mean, bring your EA, Bergantino, Aggy stuff to town, and we'll go a couple of rounds! :p Mesa amps with Mesa cabs is just, well, unreal. They match their stuff like no other. Any combination is going to be spectacular. Most of all a 2x10 or 4x10+1x15. It's honestly unreal. Almost as good as a 2x10+2x15 rig! :D

13. big block

big block

Aug 30, 2005
    Bought it just one week ago, but feel already that it must be one of the best bassamps ever made. The sound is there and the power as well and it simply rocks! Couldn´t be happier about my sound. I live in Finland and here it was about 2600 dollars, but worth it.

14. I had a 600 and a 750 for a short time. The 750 does NOT put out full power into 4ohms... the 600 is massively louder into a 4 ohm load than the 750 (even though the wattage into 4ohms seems similar... don't no why the 600 puts out that much more sound). Part of it could be that I prefer a very clean sound, and the 750 is designed to growl and breakup (at least I hope it is!)... so maybe what I was hearing is that the 600 gets a lot louder and stays clean, whereas that Big Block seems to growl more at lower volumes.

I've also read some posts on the site about problems with the 750 running at 2ohms... but I assume Mesa has fixed that, since the heads been out for over a year now. I liked the 600 and also thought... cool, same sound and a lot simpler... wrong!!!! The 750 really sounds grindy and very 'classic rock-SVT style versus the many different sounds of the 600. However, if you like that grindy mid SVT sound, this head could work very well for you.

15. I've a limited use of a BB750 and I must it is the sweetest amp I've played through. It has the one of the best tones I've heard with a flat eq and then with a little tweaking i was able to get a big fat, low tone that i love when playing solo

16. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I'm a Mesa Boogie dealer and I can tell you that we can't keep the Big Block 750 in the store. They get bought immediately. I even have a waiting list. The pre amp is supposed to be the walkabout preamp. I really like the 750 myself. I recently sold my 400+ and I'm seriously considering the Big Block to replace it. BTW it's plenty loud.

17. I own a bb750 and have had it about 1 1\2 yrs.Before that I had a m-pulse 600. both amps are great but, different,very different.the bb is more like a 400+ than ampeg in terms of sound.it is the most tube sounding solid state amp I ever heard,where the 600 is more hi-fi sounding.the wattage is indeed 750@2ohms on the bb but ,you will be hard pressed to tell a difference between the two volume wise @ 4ohms.like the manual says,the gain control is a very powerful control.in the lower range it can be very clean but, you push it up to(and beyond) the 12:00 position it gets very tubey. the od. sounds IMO more like the V-twin pre than the bottlerocket,ranging from clean boost to total saturation and still retaining the lows pretty well.I ran this amp with a rr 2x15 and 2x10 for a while and later got a rr powerhouse 1000,let me tell you,theres nothin else like it..now I run it with a (don't laugh) 4ohm 15 scout radiator cab..I know it sounds silly but,that little cab is awsome,sounds waaaay bigger than it is(and it's reeeealy light)..I plan to get a second one to use the full rated power but honestly,I hav'nt needed more for the gigs I do(bars and clubs and some outdoor stuff) as far as the 2ohm issue goes,Mesa has fixed the problem. they had a bad batch of mosfets and the amp would fry on a 2ohm load(I know,I did it twice)but being the GREAT company that they are,they fixed the problem right away..the couple of times I did get to run it @ 2ohms it was downright scary :eek:.. for the record I run my e.q totally flat tweaking the passive mids for the room we're playin...I can't say enough good things about this amp,I just love it..if anyone has any Q's about this amp,I'd be happy to try to answer them.

18. +1 on your description, and I totally agree with you on those Scout cabs (both the 15 and the 12).... much bigger sounding than they 'should' be, given their size. Your comment about the 'tube-iness' of the newest Mesa line and especially the Big Block is right on. I have a feeling, since I got a very early one, that something was not right with that particular amp, since I couldn't get any volume out of it at 4ohms compared to the 600. The retailer was nice enough to take it back (I returned it that day), and never tried another. +1 on Mesa being a great company... wonderful tech people... it's amazing to call a big company like that with a question and have somebody who knows the answer call you back within an hour or two! Very cool!

19. KJung..mine is also the first version,in fact I got mine the very day it arrived in my local shop,it was just released...Mesa actually called ME to see if everything was ok..hows that for service?..sorry to hear that yours did'nt work out(not that the 600 is'nt a great amp)but,when I heard the bb,I had to have it and I'm glad to say I no longer have amp gas..the bb does everything I want\need it to..now it's getting time to get that second scout cab.... :)