Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Big Block at 8 Ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lefty_400, May 18, 2005.

1. lefty_400

lefty_400

May 18, 2005
    What is the wattage of the Big Block when running an 8 ohm load (Mesa 4x10 Powerhouse)?

As far as perceived loudness, to give an idea of what I am used to, I currently run a 400+ @ 8 ohm through the same cab. I am considering the Big Block as a hybrid backup to the 400+, but I am concerned that it won't do the job volume wise @ 8 ohm.

Any help would be much appreciated...

2. Here ya go: Specs according to Bass Player magazine.

280 watts RMS into 8Ω, 550 watts RMS into 4Ω, 750 watts RMS into 2Ω minimum load

Peace!

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, it won't be as loud as the 400+, but it will probably do. I was using one in store for a number of hours. Through a single Mesa 410 is got pretty damn loud, just had to work eq etc to get it there at times. I played pretty freakin loud in the store, I know the guys so they don't mind if the stores pretty empty. I never got it over 4 though I don't think.

I hooked up the Mesa 15 as well to run the 8ohm load.. I don't care what people say about it 'only' been 550 watt at 4ohms.. It's a very loud 550 watt.

I think it'd work as a backup... but then again, it's a damn fine amp for a backup...