Mesa BigBlock 750 vs. Ampeg SVT4Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmjbassplayer, May 31, 2005.

1. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    I have an SVT-4Pro which I love and have used for years, but I'm wondering: how the Mesa BB750 stack up to it? I know that they are a bit different (BB750 is mono, 4Pro is stereo, 4Pro has more patching, more EQ, compression, etc), but they sort of sit in the same class, at least in my mind: tube front-end, mosfet power, similarly priced, etc.

The main thing I'm curious about is Mesa's power 550 watts into 4 ohms, and 750 into 2, it's a bit less substantial than the 4Pro, but something tells me those numbers don't mean a lot. (Maybe it's the fact that I also own a Walkabout and it totally kicks ass at 300 watts :)).

Anyone have a take (particularly people who have heard both of these)?

2. I've played the BB750, and man, it and the M-Pulse 600 are arguably the most tube-sounding heads out there that aren't really all-tube. And they're both LOUD. Mesa is VERY conservative in their power ratings, and as you say, their 300W Walkabout Scout can put some of the other guys' 600 Watters to shame.

Now, although I've not played the SVT-4 PRO, I've only ever heard that its "rated" power figure is ambitious, at best. I've read many comparisons between it and the M-Pulse 600, and the general concensus is that the Mesa sounds better, and that the extra power of the SVT-4 PRO isn't noticeable. All it does is give you a little bit of extra headroom. Unless you're playing seriously large venues and need the extra power (in which case I'd advise you to get a preamp and a separate power amp), I'd say go with the BB750, if those are the two you're looking at. If you're going to be running a 4 Ohm load, you'd be wise to take a look at the M-Pulse 600, as well, as it shoves 625W into a 4 Ohm load, and 720W into a 2 Ohm load. I know the M-Pulse 600 isn't "Mesa rated" to 2 Ohms, but I've also read about more than a few cases where people ran their M-Pulse into 2.67 Ohm and 2 Ohm loads for 8 hours at a time, with no problems.

Hope that helps!

3. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I love the Big Block! It's cool that it has the distortion you can switch on or off because every once in a while I like a clean bass tone!
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    The Mesa Big Block is probably my favourite amp, along with the M-Pulse 600. Very tube like sound/warmth and very loud. I love the distortion on it too, sounds really really nice.

If only I could afford one :(
  5. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've been a big fan of the Mesa M-Pulse series amps. I used to own the m-pulse 600 and I liked the tone, but ultimately GAS and the lack of speakon connectors made me sell it. The Walkabout may still be on my list of amps to get.
  6. Johnebass

Jan 2, 2005
    For what its worth I've owned Ampeg & Mesa amps including both the Big Block 750 & M-Pulse 600.
    To my mind (and ears) the M-Pulse 600 is far superior to both of the others. The only draw back is that the 600 doesn't have a tuner/out or speakon's but that doesn't seem to make a difference and I send my input signal through my rack tuner first and use the mute facility on that.
    M-Pulse 600 plus 2 SWR cabs fitted with new Fanes and a MM Sterling is the best sound that you will hear anywhere.

Go for the 600, you wont regret it.
  7. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    what kind of street price would you guys in the US pay for a BB750?
  8. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^ I think it's around $1300 for them, give or take a hundred or so.

Theres one on ebay going for $3200 here cos it has a small dint..
  9. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston

Sorry to nitpick, but my M-Pulse 600 does have a tuner out. It doesn't have a "mute" switch, but you can switch over to the "solo" channel (with the volume turned off) and use it like a mute if needed.

No Speakons=No big deal. My $.02.

Get the M-Pulse 600. It kills.

10. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    If you like your walkabout the 750 is supposed to have the same preamp.
  11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

As some of you know, the Big Block has some issues when running a 2 ohm load (at least 3 that I've seen have fried here on TB when running a 2 ohm load). Go with the M-Pulse 600...
  12. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    How good is the onboard compressor on the M-Pulse? I've heard its awesome. The SVT's is somewhat lacking (since you can control only threshold).
  13. The on-board compressor is amazing. Studio-quality, transparent, versatile. I've only heard great things about it.
  14. LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I sold mine because it can not go to 2 ohms. Also, the compressor is flawed - the more you crank it up the more it sucks all the power away. It's a very poor design although it does sound good.
  15. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^They will go to two ohms. It's just not 'recommended'.

Of those cases with the Big Block frying at 2ohms, since those (And before those) i'd heard no complaints.
  16. LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I called Mesa and talked to the Tech and he said it will not go to 2 ohms for the M-Pulse 600.
  17. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    I toured with a band that used a M-Pulse 600. On the back it says 4 ohms but then 2 ohms in (). We hooked both our cabs up one night and his head was extremely hot afterwards. I imagine after a longer period of time the head would've went, but it can run 2 ohms for awhile.
  18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I've seen the M-Pulse 600 run for over an hour, with my eyes into two 4 ohm cabs. The guy was cranking it and it didn't feel hot to the touch. I came late and left early so I'm sure he kept going with it. However, the M-Pulse 600 is the head for me. I can't describe it, which is why I always use it. The only bad thing about it is that I don't have the Mesa cabs....ok so that's not bad about the head, just my choice in where I spend my money. Damn those girlfriends and their wanting to eat "food."