1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Boogie 12AX7 for preamp tube, anygood?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Apr 24, 2006.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Well Ive never changed the preamp tube in my old red face SWR 350 basic head. I started using the head again for another band and since Ill be gig'in more with it I thought I should change it out. So I was in a guitar shop today and they had a russian Boogie 12ax7 (ecc 83) tube and thought what the hell I'll give it a try, I wouldnt mind getting a fatter sound out of the SWR if possible. Anyone have any experience with this tube?

2. It's just a Sovtek that Mesa has labelled as theirs. There really should be no reason to change out the tube in your SWR unless you're trying for different tone. Preamp tubes should last a lifetime.

3. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks PBG! Would I get any type of tone difference with the Sovtek?

4. None, they are the same tube, as in Mesa buys lots of sovtek tubes and then puts MESA on them :p

5. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    But would the Sovtek sound different then the stock GT?

6. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...I've got an old Mesa 12ax7 tube that I believe is from China(Mesa re-labeled). It definetly doesn't look like a Sovtek & looks exactly like a "Silver Special" 7025 Chinese tube...

~S~

PS: The "SS" has tons of lows & is a bit darker & not very crisp on the highs, great for certain applications...