Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie 1516

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by icks, Dec 5, 2003.

1. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Hello guys!

I recently saw an ad for a mesa 1516 cabs, I'm currently looking for a pro cab so I'd like to have review on this cabs
    I just know that it has a 15 + 1x10 + 2x6 + tweeter.

So guys could you tell me more?

BTW I play mostly grunge and rock music, I have a Mesa M2000 head, I play mostly my 82' MIJ Pbass. Does this cab is good for me?

The tones I like?
    - Nirvana - Lounge Act
    - Nirvana - Lithium
    - Green Day - Longview
    - Placebo - 36° degrees

Thanks

1Ck$

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've played 'em with a M2000. They are great. Very punchy, and have a snappy high end to them. It can get pretty deep, but not super deep like a 2x15. It fills a room quite nicely, though. It's a pretty versatile cab, and if you hate horns, but still want some highs, it's a God-send. It's on my list of must have cabs, along with a Powerhouse 1000, Powerhouse Jr., 4x10, 1x18.....

3. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I had a 1516B cab for about 2 years. It was a great cab, could fill any size club with great tone, but was VERY heavy and cumbersome. I would say its pretty close to a 115+210 setup in all honesty. It can get really deep, but the 6" drivers have a really nice high end. If you play with a pick, you'll love this cab! If you can score one for a good price, go for it, that is, if you have a good back!

4. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    thanks guys,

I'll have soon a chat with the seller, we shall speak about the prices ;)

What's is spec?
    I don't even know its wattage....

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think it specs out at "Stupid Loud".

6. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Stupid loud is right! Actually, I think they're either rated at 400 or 500 watts at 4 ohms..Can't remember exactly, but I believe it was 500 watts.

7. I believe this cab is bi-ampable like the powerhouse 1000 right? I think they have a single full range 4 Ohm input and 2 8 Ohm inputs as well for bi-amping.

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've had my 1516 since 1991. It's a great cab.
    They're a 4ohm cab rated at 450 watts(mine is), mine is not bi-ampable, just a single input.

Either way, the other guys are right by saying it's stupid loud. Yes the cab will be good for your style.

9. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    thanks guys. I'll pick it up saturday ;)
    Will post pics of my KILLER stack later this week.

10. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    I am being dumb guys but does bi ampable mean you can stick 2 seperate amps into it? I guess if thats the case then the top 15" cab is one half and the 10" and 6" is the other inputs?

Why would you want to do this? Can you get one head with 2 8 ohm outputs? why not just stick a 4 ohm into the 4 ohm input? I guess that the 4 ohm is really just the 15 and 10/6/6 in parallel?

Sorry for being stupid on this but I dont know much technical stuff

STeve

11. Right, I run mine full range into the 4 Ohm input. When I had my WT800 I tried it in bi-amp mode for fun ... put the lows into the 15" and the highs up top. For my money, its a better full range cab ... sounds amazing.

12. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Thanks Sanctum, I cant wait to pick it up now!! I am thinking of an EBS 350 head to go with it which is what I demoed it with in the store.

Cheers

Steve

13. i know a guy who uses an EBS350 with that cab and it sounded just great. as many others have said "it really filled out the room" lots of highs´n lows. i want one myself.

14. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Yea, thats my top GAS at the moment if I can keep saving. May have to settle for something a little cheaper :crying:

Steve