Mesa Boogie 1516be.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gaz Goldstar, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Hi folks, I was wondering if anyone here could help me with a quandry? I want to know what power handling my cab could take because I am looking to buy a power amp to go with my newly aquired SWR Interstellar Overdrive.

I have a Mesa Boogie Cab. It is the 1516be model. It is 1x15,1x10,2x6 + horn. I know the regular 1516 is a 450 watt cab but as mine is the BE edition I was wondering if it could take more power. I should explain...The BE edition of the 1516 has EV speakers throughout and was quite an expensive upgrade to the regular 1516.

Also, does anyone know if it is safe to put a power amp rated much higher, say 720 watts into a 450 watt cab providing you keep the volume controls down? Or is this just asking for blown speakers?

Help please as I am desperate to get a power amp for my new setup!
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I belive the BE upgrade only changed the 10" speaker. If I remember correctly, the 1516be is rated at 600 watts. I wouldn't worry about blowing speakers with 750 watts; more speakers are blown by too little power than too much.
  3. Thanks for the lowdown!
  4. nicolas

Jul 6, 2006
    sorry for reviving this old thread... but this happens to be the exact same question I'm currently asking myself. so running a 750w amp through this cab is a-ok? the dude that's selling it says it's 450w.
  5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Yes, you should be fine. I rode my M-Pulse 600 into my old Henry 8x8 which was only like 425W HARD, and it never really even broke up. Just use your ears and you'll be fine.