1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mesa boogie 1x12 thiele for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gnome01, Mar 9, 2008.

1. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Hi, wondering if anyone uses the 200w version of this cab for bass. I know it's a guitar cab, but I tried one out with my bass and really liked it - just wanted to see if anyone had any long term experience, or any problems blowing it out. Thanks.

2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    first .. I have not used this cab ever, but have seen them in guitar stacks here and there. They are open back .. no?

So, if its the same Boogie 1x12 I think it is your asking about, then I can't imagine an open back cab would work very well for bass ... particularly stand alone.

If I'm wrong about it being open back .. just ignore this reply ;)

But, even if it is closed, typical (even well built) guitar cab will not sound very good for bass beyond very quiet levels, or stand alone.
    The cab specs and drivers are just not designed to support live bass playing frequencies.

good luck

3. okabass

okabass

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland,Lahti
    HI

In Finland its called "Bassojani". It's a surprisingly good sounding little basscab. The element is a 300W EV DXL (or something).
    It is quite near the TL 806.
    http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Builders Plans/

4. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Thanks for the replies - it's definitely not the same cab as the one in finland, this one's 200 watts and it's specifically a guitar cab, although it's built like a bass cab (heavy!!). It's the one with the closed back @ ported in the front. It did sound great with my bass when I tried it, and should work well on top of a 15. Just hope I don't blow it with my octave pedal.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Don't use your octave pedal through it. Keep the volume reasonable. It'll sound good.

6. joannajetson

joannajetson

Mar 7, 2008
    I've got one. I use it for jazz guitar with a Groove Tubes Studio Series guitar preamp (which has a 25-watt power amp built in). I tried using my bass with it (a Michael Dolan custom with active EMGs) to see how it would work. The Mesa cab started farting so badly that I was worried about it lasting very long. I still use it as a practice amp if I'm lazy, but I keep the volume turned WAY down...

7. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I'm resurrecting this thread - 10 years later I've started using it again as a standalone bass cab for smaller gigs and it sounds great. Now what I really wanna do is find another to stack on top, but only the 90 watt versions seem to be available :(

8. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Gasaholic
    I tried one years ago and if I remember correctly it had the optional EV 12L. Great guitar cab, not so much for bass.

9. tripp2k

tripp2k

Oct 31, 2010
    DFW-TX
    I'd be very surprised if the version you're looking for isn't for sale somewhere. Couldn't you also swap out the drivers for ones built for a bass and higher power handling rating?

One example:
    Mesa Boogie 1x12" Thiele Cabinets with Flight Case

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  10. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Gasaholic

As I just said in the previous post, been there, done that, don't work. If you want to play bass get a bass cabinet.

11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Pretty sure the 90W version is the same cab just loaded with a Celestion C90 instead of the original EVM 12L. EVM loaded cabs do pop up fairly regularly on Ebay and Reverb. As I am sure you know, they won't handle 200W watts of bass, but a pair would be fine for a low volume gig and sound decent as long as you don't need huge lows.

As a previous post mentioned, it's basically a TL806 cab. I have attached the builder plan for your convenience. F3 is listed as 83Hz and maximum acoustic output below 100hz is quite limited (See charts in the plans). I believe the Boogie cab loaded with an EVM 12L should perform pretty much like the plan suggests. I recommend running a fairly aggressive HPF to prevent over excursion (probably low to mid 70Hz range).

FYI, the EVM 12L has been reissued, but they are pretty expensive. https://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=410 The lowest street price for new seems to be $249 currently.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    HaphAsSard likes this.
  12. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    +1
    Here's a relevant thread:
    Thiele 806 cab?
    "Stepdown" tuning frequency (with the centre port blocked) is a possibly bass-friendlier 53 Hz.

Wasnex likes this.
  13. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Step down mode might sound better at really low volume, but it significantly reduces the cabs efficiency from about 225Hz to 70Hz in order to extend the low end response. To attain the new F3 of 58Hz requires a specific EQ curve with 6dB of boost. Without the EQ, F3 is 130Hz in step down mode. This is all detailed in the builder plans attached to post #11.

Unfortunately, step down mode further limits acoustic output from approximately 200Hz down, and the cab is extremely volume limited in the low end to begin with. I could be wrong, but I don't think it would be a good trade off.

I don't believe the Boogie Thiele cab can converted to step down operation without modification.

HaphAsSard likes this.