Mesa/Boogie 2x10 + 1x15 vs 1516 ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Okay, I currently roll with a 2x10 + 1x15 RR set up.

But if I had a chance to get a 1516 (non RR, if that matters), would YOU make that move?

Please consider weight, mobility, sound, and all factors together.

On one hand, a 1516 sounds VERY tempting and maybe would have that all around better sound. But the thought of carrying it around to shows makes me want to pass out. The 1x15 + 2x10 is great for mobility and has a good sound as well, but I'm a bit distressed to hear that the tech guy tell me the 2x10 tweeter was out (I didn't even notice) and it has this slight vibrating sound coming from somewhere between the tweeter and drivers. Still sounds good and with the band it's inaudible (or so I think). But I know it's there, especially when I play my rig by myself. But the good part is it's mobile. And actually much lighter than I expected it to be (if even I can lift the cab without strain, it must not be too bad). The only thing that makes the 1x15 a bit tough is the bulky size of it.

Anyway, so... is this an insane move? Your thoughts please...

2. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I'll keep a 2x10+1x15 setup if I was you.

This setup has the approximativly the same sound of a 1516. But from a mobility point of view I'd rather have a 210+115 than my 1516 !!!

Fix your tweeter problem and you're set !
    The 1516 has also a tweeter, so this issue can happen on this cab too !
  3. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    stay with the 1x15 + 2x10. Your gonna wanna stick with portability (IMO). Plus that mesa combo sounds amazing. Im still working on getting my 210 powerhouse.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If weight and mobility are the issue, then the 1516 isn't even in the mix.

I grumble enough about a 1x12 and a 4x10 + rack.
  5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks all. That affirms my thought and me not going for the 1516. Besides, I already have a Powerhouse 1000 that I keep locked away until it's time to knock down walls (shhhh).

I really do like what I got going though. I think it's just the particular 1x15 + 2x10 RRs I have have some issues. Well, I think the 15 is okay, but the 2x10 definitely has something to it that is subtle but makes me unhappy. I wish there was an inexpensive tech or tech-friend I could call on to fix it. The last time I had it in a local shop, they found a slight creasing on the cone and that's what was making a horrible sound. They did some "support work" on the cone (who knows what the heck they did) and it did sound pretty good after that. But as they said, it's not like eliminates it 100%, but probably 75%. The rest they said was in the cab build themselves, with some of the joints coming slightly loose here and there and they said the tweeter was totally dead. I can't seem to verify the tweeter thing, even when I do switch the switch. I dunno.

So now I'm on the hunt for a new cab set up, but *sigh*, I thought my quest was over. Oh well. What fun would that be? :D