Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Franz Jr., Dec 27, 2003.

1. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    In the new issue of Bass Guitar magazine, the one with Mike Gordon on the cover, there is a Mesa Boogie ad with a Walkabout head on Mesa "2x12s" Is this true?? Does Mesa have 2x12's bass cabs?? Or is it just a misprint? PLease shed some light on this.

Thanks guys

2. They make 2x12 guitar cabs :)

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ok, I finally found the magazine in question and saw the ad you are referring to. Sadly, that was only a typo, not a new cab you are seeing. Those are 2x10's the Walkabout is sitting on. Pooey.

I'm expecting a call from one of my pals at Boogie. I will put in an official request for them to make some bass 2x12's. They've used a couple of design ideas from me in the past (like on their Formula Pre-amp), so maybe they will listen to me this time as well. (Not that I will be the first person to make such a request, I'm sure)

4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

What do you think of my Powerhouse 1000 mod.? I sealed off both 2-10 chambers and left the 1-15 ported. I figured it was safe because the Mesa 1-15s are about the same size as what I ended up with.

5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry to open up this thread again, but how is the suggestion of a "Mesa Boogie 2x12 bass cabs" coming along?

Weird, just today I was at the Hollywood GC and saw an MB 2x12 vertical and nearly started to have tears of joy...and then realized it was for guitar. Then the tears of sadness came along. :bawl: WHY MUST YOU TAUNT ME?!?!

Curious...any other bass cab innovations coming Mesa's way? How about ultra-lite, "sound just as good" bass cabs, eh? Eh??? :D

-T

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks

That seems like a neat idea - I haven't actually seen it though. I'd love to give it a listen and compare it to the original.

I don't really have any info on new innovations presently. We have just put out our new series of Powerhouse cabs, which feature speakon connectors, a radial horn attenuator, and a selectable crossover network so you can tailor the sound of your cabs to your personal taste. I think it's a pretty sweet idea. :) No word on the 2x12 yet, but we'll see. ;)