1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa/Boogie 3 way?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkybassinator, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Hey tb,
    Last nights gig had me using a mesa cab as backline. It was an older one, and it looked to have a 12" driver with 4 6" drivers surrounding it, plus a tweeter. I think it was 8 ohms. Sounded really killer; anyone know anything about these?

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I think that cab is the Powerhouse Jr. I have never played through one, but did own a Powerhouse 1200 (with a 15 and four 10's).

3. Ah, i think youre right. Thanks.

4. sprocket123

sprocket123

Feb 15, 2012
    Canada
    Isn t it that the PH Jr has 4X10s , a 15 & a tweeter ! Or it s me .

Or these are 12 ,4X 8s & a tweeter

5. sprocket123

sprocket123

Feb 15, 2012
    Canada
    Would like to try one .

6. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The Powerhouse 1000 (later renamed the 1200) had four 10's, a 15, and a tweeter.

The Powerhouse Junior had the smaller speakers.

7. sprocket123

sprocket123

Feb 15, 2012
    Canada
    Thanx , appreciated Ryan .

8. Just know it NOT a 3 way cab..............

Still the same poor design and "engineering by looks" that is the downfall of the Powerhouse 1000/1200

9. So it's a fact that anyone who thinks they sound good is wrong? Good to know.

10. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    +1 that's good info. I mean id hate to really sound like crap when I really think my PH1000 sounds awesome.

11. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sell it immediately. Better yet, kill it with fire.

:D:D

(consider me another one who actually kinda digs these cabs----I did quite a few gigs with a PH1200 and a Mesa Titan. Killer rig, IMO)

12. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    It could just sound good to me, because my ears are of unequal size and they are connected with a common chamber in the middle. Just a theory. Carry on

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Settle down, the PH100/1200 and Jr sound great. It's only when you compare them directly to a PH 610, 810, or 412 that you hear how much better they *could* sound.

14. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    LOL.

I've owned the PH210, 410, 212 and a couple of generations of the 115 and played a borrowed PH1200 in the same venues 4-5 times. My only significant complaint with the 1200 is that it's a boat anchor to move (like many other venerable 'fridges we so often eulogize). Sure, the sound of the 1200 has a little more boom than combinations of the other PH's I've tried, but in a kind of pleasing, but not uncontrollable way (spoken by someone who's dragged his original purchase Peavey 215 out to gigs at least 3X year since 1973). Didn't Macca use one (a 1200) on stage not too long ago? As to the smaller cab, I've never played or even laid eyes on one, but I am curious what a stack would sound like - not every day you encounter 2 12's and 8 8's in a unique (OK, unusual) configuration like that.

15. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I do agree that they aren't Mesa's best sounding cab---I reserve that honor for the PH810 I owned. But I did like the PH1200 I had.

16. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    Oh I'm always settled down. Although, people who come on here and do nothing but degrade others peoples gear kinda erks me. Just a good thing I'm not in the same vicinity or there'd be a pimp slap in atmosphere. Lol! As far as the ph1000 I own, yes it has a boomy buttery low end, but it is definitely controllable.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I like the Jr.

105_0525.

18. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Agreed 100%, except you left out the equally awesome PH215...

- georgestrings

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, I've never played thru any cab that can bring it as well as my PH810, although it's weight is a bit too much for some...

- georgestrings

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Actually, you're putting words in his mouth - and there is nothing incorrect about what he posted...

Thing is, Mesa gear is so awesome that most people will be impressed with the PH1000, until they compare it directly to the PH610, 810, 412, or 215, as I have done more than a few times... I've owned and gigged the PH610, 810, and 215 quite a bit, and played thru a PH412 a few times... I've also used a PH1000 quite a bit at a rehearsal space, purely out of convenience - so I feel fairly qualified to speak on the differences...

I actually *thought* I wanted a PH1000 - which sat right next to the PH610 I ended up buying... A/Bing the two for over an hour revealed the differences between the two... Also, the PH1000 at the rehearsal space has been thru several 15s - which is a definite failing of the "design", as it is with Ampeg's 410/115 mixed cab...

No one is saying they don't sound good - just stating that they don't sound "as good" as Mesa's other big cabs, and they certainly are more problematic... I will state as fact that the PH1000 will not get as loud as the PH610 or PH215, and will fart out long before either of those will - besides not having as strong of lows, nor the clarity of either as well...

- georgestrings