Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa boogie 400+ and a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Foster2004, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Foster2004

Foster2004

Sep 30, 2004
    Boonton, NJ
    I just recently purchased a mesa 400+ and I'm using it with an 8 ohm SVTHEN 4 x 10 cab. Two of my friends run this amp with an ampeg 8 x 10 and i loved the way it sounded. I can't upgrade to the 8 x 10 because of transportation problem. I feel like the cab I have now isn't coming close to matching the sounds I got from the 8 x 10. Should I add another 8 ohm cab (4 x 10 or 1x15) or just wait a few months until I can get the 8 x 10? ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    is a 6x10 an option? That's the rig I run and it's killer.

3. Bergantino NV610. Saw a couple for sale on various sites. I like mine a lot and wish I would have kept one of my 400+ for it. It's a real easy cab to move around too. Loud as @#%&^*^%$#%^&((*^%%$ if you know what I mean.

4. Off Topic: How much is a used Mesa 400+ worth? There's one in a local music store which is visually in very good condition for $850.00

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    That's a reasonable price if it's in good shape, and maybe been re-tubed recently...

6. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    if anyone is looking for a 400+ there happen to be about 6 auctions on ebay right now. Seems like a bit of a glut to me - you could end up scoring one for a great price if you keep an eye on them.

FWIW i paid $700 for mine (used).

7. Yep, between $700 and $800 is the average price.

As far as cabs go...All-tube heads seem to work extremely well with tight, sealed cabinets. However, the tight, sealed cabinets like the Ampeg 8x10 don't put out the gutteral, subsonic low end that a well-ported cabinet. The focus with sealed cabinets is low end thump, and not that puke-inducing ultrabass.

In my humble opinion, the best match (by far) for the Mesa 400+ is the Berg NV610...sound, thump, clarity, etc....and at only 98 lbs, it's much more mobile then the Ampeg 8x10.

8. Foster2004

Foster2004

Sep 30, 2004
    Boonton, NJ
    Hey I checked out the Berg website and I'm very interested in checking them out. How much does the 610 usually go for? And are there any websites where I can purchase one besides ebay?? Thank you everyone for your help!

9. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I know you can get them at www.rockcityguitars.com from Corey and Justin. Top notch people!!

10. http://www.bassgear.com

I thought I saw one here, might have been an NV215.
    Check the classifieds on this site too.
    Good Luck.

You could also call Jim Bergantino or 508-231-4500
    Cory at Rock City Guitars (617) 623 - 7100

11. The reason it sounds better with the 8 x 10 is because they are not a ported cab so give a really clear punchy sound.

The 610HLF AND SVT410 HLF are also ported so will sound very different to the sweet 8 x 10 cabs.

I personally dont like the Ampeg 410 cabs on their own i use my rig with SVT15E and SVT410HE and it works well, far better than the HLF cabs as they are too boomy and dark sounding and get lost in the band mix.

The ampeg 8 x 10 is a great cab but far too big for the average bass palyer to move around in his car etc.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Anyone used an swr henry 8x8 with a 400+?

13. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The EV 4-10 I use sounds wonderful with my 400; I always felt the Ampeg 4-10's were a bit thin sounding in comparison to the EV, Eden and Mesa 4-10's.