1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mesa boogie 400+ or ampeg svt-cl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jamaica, Mar 4, 2004.

1. mesa boogie 400+

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. ampeg svt-cl

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. jamaica

jamaica

Feb 11, 2003
    Hi all,
    I found these two heads here in Italy for a good price(the mesa is 1 year old and in great condition; the ampeg new and for this 350 euri more expensive), but I have to buy without playing and comparing them together because of the distance.
    So I would like to know the sound quality and the sound differences between them so that I could orient myself to choose one or the other one.
    I currently have an ampeg svt 3 pro with ampeg svt 410 hlf cab.

thanks

2. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Try running a search as there are so many threads on this topic already.

3. I've had a newer model SVT-CL and they seem to be pretty poorly built, sort of. I would imagine the 400+ to be a bit better since they're (from what I understand) not made in as large quantities as the Ampeg... Or something.

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA.
    It'd be a better race if it was a vintage SVT vs. the 400+. I'd say 400+ since the EQ's more versitale, weighs about 30-40 lbs. less and is easier to re-tube. Then again I'm bias :smug:.

5. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    Mesas sound a little no unnatural for me. I'm a SVT fan all the way but those new re-issues.....
    Get a Gk and a sansamp di.