Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa boogie 400+ or ampeg svt-cl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jamaica, Mar 4, 2004.

1. mesa boogie 400+

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. ampeg svt-cl

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. jamaica

jamaica

Feb 11, 2003
    Hi all,
    I found these two heads here in Italy for a good price(the mesa is 1 year old and in great condition; the ampeg new and for this 350 euri more expensive), but I have to buy without playing and comparing them together because of the distance.
    So I would like to know the sound quality and the sound differences between them so that I could orient myself to choose one or the other one.
    I currently have an ampeg svt 3 pro with ampeg svt 410 hlf cab.

thanks

2. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Try running a search as there are so many threads on this topic already.

3. I've had a newer model SVT-CL and they seem to be pretty poorly built, sort of. I would imagine the 400+ to be a bit better since they're (from what I understand) not made in as large quantities as the Ampeg... Or something.

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It'd be a better race if it was a vintage SVT vs. the 400+. I'd say 400+ since the EQ's more versitale, weighs about 30-40 lbs. less and is easier to re-tube. Then again I'm bias :smug:.

5. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    Mesas sound a little no unnatural for me. I'm a SVT fan all the way but those new re-issues.....
    Get a Gk and a sansamp di.