Mesa Boogie 400+ or Basis M-2000, perhaps GK 1001 RB? Opinions please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mesa Man, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Ok, so I have been thinking lately about the fact that my M/B 400+ is one heavy piece of art. To be frank I really like the sound and all in it, but I am really bored with the weight.:( I really dont want to lug it around.Therefore I am now considering something else, enter Basis M-2000. The question I have for you all is this: Will the Basis M-2000 fill my needs in terms of sound (400+-ish?), power and ooommphh? I know that the 400+ pumps out lots of oommphh, but since I use only a 2x12 with tweeter (SWR BigFoot) the oomph is somewhat restricted anyway. I tried out the GK700 RB at rehearsal once and found it quite pleasing in terms of sound, but lacking the relaxed power of my 400+, hence thinking 1001RB. Dont try to get me into the Walkabout 600 thinking since they are impossible to find here in Sweden. Any comments will be helpful and appreciated! Perhaps an Acoustic Image or Walter Woods (if I can get a hold of it in the future..)

Oh I am confused :confused: HELP!!

Thank you.
  2. You really should think about doing a search on that one as we have covered it at length, often.
    I n a nutshell; M2000 does not sound even remotely like the Fender-based preamp design of the glorious 400+. To get close to that w/o the weight consider the M-pulse series with the far deeper preamp or do what i did and score an Alembic F-1X as (to me at least) it sounds the closest to what I remember my 400+ being; fat, rich and deeeep.
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'll second that. I own a M2000, and while it does have a ton of low end, it always retains a certain edge to the tone. It's a very snappy amp; notes jump out of the speakers as soon as you hit the note. Very tight amp.

The MPulse line is great for little bit more relaxed sounding amp. The bass is a bit wider, the treble a little sweeter, and the mids are tucked just a little bit.

That being said, I still prefer my M2000 to the Mpulse line. Just suits my style better.
  4. Well actually I did a search but all I found was "well its a good amp but not nearly as good as the 400+" Which is not a very detailed answer :(

I do like tight sounds too as long as they are not sterile an anemic.

But now I am getting a little bit closer to the answer, the 2000 is a snappy tight amp with lots of everything, the 400+ is OOmmppphh with extras of everything (and tube).. Yeah my opinion exactly! But the weight man! Call me a sissy or anything you like but I dont like the weight of it. :cool:

Keep em coming!
  5. Ok, yer a sissy.

I even had the shock-mount Mesa anvil day I took the amp out of the rack only to discover that the head was lighter than the case?! I ended up huffin' it about in an old VCR foamie/bag thing.
    Playing through the 400+ s like pl;aying through a rainbow. M2000 is meant for agreesive styles a.k.a. funk, metal. M-Pulse harkens back to the "rootsier" tone of the lolder MEsa stuff, yeah maybe a tad "slushier" for some but I preferred the fatter sound. Loved my old M2000 but just got frustrated at never being able to nail "my" sound. Did sound much better with fresh tubes and through Mesa cabs most definitely.
    DO a search on the dozens of M-2000 threads, ones about re-tubing and the like. Detailed descriptives there...
    Oh, and y'know, if a rig sounds amazing and get's you hyped to create you may find the weight becomes less of an issue (honest!)
  6. Well I have been thinking exactly like that, but lugging around that bastard almost kills my joy of the sound and all. BUT WHEN (or if) I GET ROADIES TO WORK IT AROUND I WILL ENJOY IT! :cool:

I guess the M-2000 is more of a regular amp with lots of flash, while the 400+ has all the smash.. and nothing but smash.

This is not easy, I must try it out and do some serious A/B-ing, but do you think the 2000 will be sufficient, I run the master of the 400+ @2 and gain channel2 @5 which is plenty loud. I do not want to end up regretting swapping amps badly in the power department (worst nightmare):eek::)

Perhaps a membership at the gym will make my decision easier ;)
  7. yeah...I don't think you could honestly pit one against the other, they are just SO completely different. The M2000 has some stellar designs incorporated but unless you are _really_ going to need 10,000 features and options (like if you ever go MIDI switching rack or something) I'd pass. I sold my 400+ because I was hyped about the options and possibilities but after 5 years I gave up as the basic tone left me very cold. An amp should sound rich and full w/o having to tweak the EQ, compressor...etc. Those sorts of features should just be a supplement, NOT the main source for your sound.
    Blah blah....I have gone on about this enough over the past year. I decided that a fat tone was primary and then I could always fiddle with it by adding stompboxes or something. Be sure to try it with _just_ the tube preamp and it's rotary knobs. The best set-up for myold 400+ I actually lifted from Larry the BP from Petaluma's "Victims Family" part of the punk-jazz surge; All shift knobs out, set at around "5" or whatever, no graphic (save for room EQ) and run TWO lines, one into each preamp. Your sound will be considerably fuller, and punchier.
    I'll shut up now....
  8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I have a bit of different opinion from MadSub on the M2000 - I feel I can nail my tone without messing with the graphics. I set the tube side with the treble down a bit, mids pushed a tad, and bass pushed just a smidge. Viola! Good, warm tone. If I need more edge to it I kick the graphic on.

The FET side seems a little less aggressive to my ears, and I use it for a tad scooped mids sound. For added low end stupidness I turn the graphic on, but that's a rare moment.

Keep in mind I am barely using any EQ on this amp - just a some slight turns on the knobs, and a rare graphic tweak. Perhaps it sounds great due to my instrument, or my ears are just different than Madsub. I feel that the MPulse line is a bit more new skool sounding to me - more hi-fi sounding. The M2000 and the 400+ really color the tone, in a good way, to my ears.

Definitely look for some older Boogie cabs for whatever head you end up with. The road ready series is dyn-o-mite!
  9. Naw, you and I are on the same bus really; that was pretty much the same setting I went for as well.
    Ironic your opinion on the new amps 'cause my impression was the opposite, the M-2000 being designed for the "new skool" sound and the M-Pulses having a rootsier feel; what Mesa pointed out to me as well. Havent heard the NEW cabs but those were most definitely intended to be "hifi". Bleah.
  10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    My thoughts on the cabs as well: bleah. Granted, I think they sound great for that hi-fi tone, but I just don't dig them personally. *Gasp*! A Boogie product that I don't like?! What is this world coming to?
  11. 810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    i ended up with thr 210 and 115 powerhouse cabs. i push them with a 400+

bleah my butt! the rig rocks:bassist:

they are a hell of alot clearer than the eden 410xlt i traded for them. alot deeper also. if it's hi-fi, it's not a sterile sounding hi-fi.
  12. Some like the combination of the two but I know now that part of the reason my M-2000 lost it's shine for me was that I ended up using the head with the Eden 2x10's and 2x12s I scored to remedy my "Road-Ready"(tm) blues. I finally clued in to the fact that Eden +Mesa products DON"T JIVE. Some like that but I really feel Mesa amps sound their very finest with the Mesa cabs tuned just for them. Eden.......what was I thinking? (Hmmm probably that my Mesa RR 2x10 weighed in at over 100 LBS?!)
  13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I've got a RR 2x10 as well. 100 lbs! To think that I want a RR 2x15 as well... what's wrong with me?
  14. Hmm, thats just what I have been doing.. the double input stuff.. really cool but I dont shift the treble, just the bass. And it seems like my controls are at 666 instead of 555 ;)

I like the sound but not the weight so to speak.. oh misery now I dont know what to do? Walter Woods perhaps? And be the only one in Sweden with WW amp. I dont know what to do really (if you hadnt figured that out yet !). I guess I'll have to try the 2000 out with my cab and bass at all volumes to find out how it compares to my 400+ and my ears.
  15. Mesa Man, I just sold my last 400+ to a great guy, I hope he enjoys it as much as I did. Yep, I actually had two of them. My reasoning was I would keep one at the rehearsal/gig and one at home to go jammin' etc. Well, that got old fast and mainly because to the weight issue. I think Mad Subwoofer is right in saying the closest you'll get to the 400+ is the Alembic FX1, my next purchase probably just to have that tone. I did end up with a Walter Woods Ulta and am very happy with it. I laugh everytime I pick it up with only two fingers. My band is very impressed with the sound too. It' not a 400+ though.

fyi: I've noticed that many TB'rs here have the same tastes. Many players like the 400+ and love the FX1. The same guys/gals have or like the Demeters, Alembic preamps with QCS or Stewart amps. Many have the same or similar cabs. And finally the Walter Woods Ultra is being aquired by many of the same. I don't know if this means anything really, just an observation. I hear many similar opinions/results from tests, trials, a/b-ing.

Talkbass has had a big influence on me, but I still end up buying and keeping what I like and works the best for me, and so are many others. Just some thought.

Anyway I think if you want to retain the 400+ tones and get lighter, Mad's recommendations should be your first on the list. Good luck.
  16. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

You guys are makin me mental...Big Strng., I'm waiting for the thread to say "I'm regretting it now" You ain't gonna beat the 400+. Period. I only feel the weight of mine (48 lbs) (big deal) for 2 minutes at a time cause it lives in the truck. I got an amp at practice. If you go to your local gym, you will see 5,10,15,20 then 25 (1/2) for each arm, at the beginning of the dumbell rack. They usually go all the way up to 125 lbs.
    My advise is to get a 100 watt practice amp used. This would be less than the beating you will take on the Mesa 400+. You get the best of both worlds. And please, will people stop whining about 50 lbs..??, or get a bass driver DI and go direct. Try the Mad Sub suggestion, and get it some JJ Tesla tubes. You'll get over it.:bawl:
  17. The GK 1001RB-II is the most powerful bass head in it's weight class. 18lbs and sounds awesome.
  18. Like Dan.:eek:
  19. My SVT weighs 85lbs.Take RockBobby's advice.
  20. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    From the 3 choices offered, I'd go for the 400+.