Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie 400+ Preamp Tube Options?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slacker, Sep 4, 2002.

1. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Since a few of us on this board have Mesa 400+'s, I was curious if anyone has tried swapping the preamp tubes for NOS or new "high zoot" audiophile tubes.

Just curious as to what you all are running. I've got Ruby's in mine. Thinking about US/UK NOS or Ei Select 12AX7's.

2. believe it or not the "Mesa" labelled Sovtek EH tubes sound damn fine in there. Try them out. The preamp really seems well tweaked to get the most from them.

3. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Would you be referring to the Sovtek 12AX7LPS?

They are also on the "short list" as are Ei's Elites.

4. Nope. I would be referring to the "Mesa" labelled Sovtek 12AX7EH tubes just like I said. Do a search; we just talked about this a few weeks ago? Lots of preamp tube chitchat for Mesa bass preamps not too long ago..

5. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Which one is better? Iwant to use either one with my Aguilar DB 680 Pre Amp, that means I will use Mesa 's power section only.
    Mesa is 12 tubes 500 Watts, Aguilar 8 tubes 400 watts. Price wise Mesa is cheaper.
    I need extra power for my 2 x Wayne Jones 2x 10 Cabs.

Right now I use the DB 680 with power section of Ampeg SVT II, I am happy with the sound but not enough power.

6. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Just Making double sure, both are used (or have been) in Mesa amps. I found the 12AX7EH to be a little flat sounding, although I did'nt get to listen under ideal situations. May check them out again.

Keep in mind I have a pretty extreme "natural overdrive" sound, and keep the pre-amp pegged on 10 or so almost all of the time.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My thoughts precisely. I own two 400+'s and I like the way they sound with the factory tubes.

8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    j.s.basuki,

we're talking about a jump of maybe 100-200W from what you're currently using, right? In terms of specs it's an insignificant jump. I believe that the WJ cabs are right up the alley for high powered SS power amps such as QSC, Crown, Stewart, etc.

Because unless you're talking full on distortion mode, a watt is a watt regardless of what produces it.

9. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
  10. any of you guys ever try nos mullards or telefunkens in your 400+pre? im curious cause ive got a set of each sitting on the shelf an i been eyeing them for the 400+,........ im running svets in the back.

11. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I'll agree with ihixulu with regards to using a tube amp with cabs of somewhat lower efficiency. Though I've never played through the WJ cabs, the Acme's that I had were not a god match for the Aguilar DB 728 I had just purchased, so I swapped out for the Epifani's I have. It wasn't really a matter of not enough power, just the combination didn't have the right vibe.