Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie 400+ problems/questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoyBase, May 9, 2002.

1. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Hello All,
    I have a practically new 400+ head that Im running through an Eden 410Xlt and 115xlt. I cant turn the volume up past 5 on the master and gain on channel one without getting an overdriven/distorted tone. I cant turn channel 2 up past 1.5 without severe distortion. I have to keep the EQ pretty much flat or the distortion gets worse. Im a pretty hard player, but have never had this problem with other amps. I know this amp is supposed to be really loud and beefy, but mine seems weak compared to my old SWR 400s. I even ran it through my RR1516 cab and it sounds the same. I've tried replacing the battery in my Stingray 5 with still no avail. Is this typical of this amp? Could this be a problem in the power section? Has anyone else had this problem/situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tommy

2. Read your manual if you have one. There are some tips about settings. Sounds to me like you have your channel (pre set to high) Here is what I do. My active bass (9volt) in channel one I set the preamp at 3 and master at 7. My passive bass, I set the channel two (bottom one) on 2 and master on 6.5 or 7. No eq at all, off. Tones all pushed in, Mid on 3.5, Bass on 4 or 5, treble on 3,4, or 5 depending.

Or you could have a bad tube or tubes. ????

This just happend to my new Mesa 400+ (my second one). The EQ board inside the amp was mounted so the on/off switch would not go on or off physically. The switch itself worked but the amp was stuck in between on an off and the tech had to remount it. Works great now.

Don't take any chances. If the settings don't work right away for you, then take it to a tech. It's under warranty. These are great amps and take a little getting used too. Actually they are quite simple to use. You must know your other gear and how it will work with any amplier and speakers.

Note: Since you are a new All Tuber owner, don't ever start up your amp without a load on it. (plugged into speaker) you probably new that.

3. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Thanks Big String. I'll keep that in mind. I just got off the phone with Mesa tech support (Great people over there) and he said the same thing. If that doesnt work, I may try a compressor pedal to throw into the mix. Thahks for the help. Any other opinions?

Thanks
    Tommy

4. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Odd... I run a 400+ with a passive bass at a gain setting near 9, even at the most extreme settings all i get is sweet overdrive!

Are you using a lot of bass boost or eq? Either on the bass (active?) or an effect pedal? Is the "effects blend" knob turned all the way down (assuming you have nothing in the effects loop)?

I would take the amp back to the store. At worst, they will fix it under warranty. At best they may find a silly thing you might have overlooked.

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Yeah, its probably either your preamp gain or you have bad tubes