Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa/Boogie 400+...score!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by D.A.R.K., Mar 9, 2006.

1. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    well, as much as folks hate guitar center, i must say they really hooked me up!
    on president's day i got a 400+ floor model, a bit scratched and slightly abused....(it had a blown sacraficial resistor, perhaps overheated or a bad tube?) anyway...
    it was sold to me with a full warranty, as new, for 499.00!!!!
    i took it straight to the local boogie certified repair shop,
    and picked it up today, completely teched and brought up to snuff...
    all paid for under warranty....
    what a beautiful sounding amp, and an amazing deal...
    the gc guy also ordered me a second set of tubes at his cost!
    i'm one very happy camper, just had to share...
    will post a pick later tonite. i'm off to crank it at rehearsal now...
    cheers
    doug:) :) :)

2. OneArmedScissor

OneArmedScissor

Feb 23, 2006
    Dude that is such an awesome deal. Very jealous. Make sure you post pics. :D

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Dude, what Guitar Center did u steal that from?

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nice one!

Great amp at a very enviable price!

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    That price is so awesome!

6. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Wow, that's insane. Congratulations.

Freakin' spectacular. Really.

Wow.

7. Quadzilla

I'm going to personally stangle Doug (DARK) if he got the 400+ that I had in my hands at the guitar center in Towson, MD :eek: :D . I was there a few weeks ago and saw a 400+ with some wear on it and inquired about it. The salesman told me that it didn't work but they still wanted $1300ish for it but he was not sure of the price so I just left there with something else - a Ampeg B3 combo (B3 head with a ported 1x15 and a sealed 1x8 in it) for $250 new! I know I got a good deal, but I wish I would have pushed harder on the Mesa if in fact it was the same one that Doug got! :crying: :bawl: :bawl:

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    View attachment 30997 View attachment 30994 Great score, I found this, like new400+ w/mesa shock rack, and a 1516be-(r.r.)cab, for $500 at a pawn shop. Two weeks later I stumbled into a new berg. nv-610 on close-out for $699.00.

9. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    The prez day sale blowouts are at their cost... that's how I got my Boogie 1x15 so cheap. So it never woulda happened for you unless you were there the same day he was. Best you could have done any other day would be GLP. Small consolation I know, but dem's da breaks... awesome score Doug!

10. i wish we had a bigger selection of pawn shops around here in Scotland. There seems to be no amazing deals whatsoever! You got lucky DARK! Damn lucky! im jealous beyond belief.

11. wow man, lucky lucky.

i'm sure with the repair and everything it wasnt even the price a normal 400+ should run you. good score on the head and better score on the free tubes.

12. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    GC isn't all that bad sometimes... ;)

Good score.

13. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    The repair was under warranty...
    That is incredible, I'm still looking for this elusive GC with good deals.

14. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    just got back from giving the mesa a good heavy run and i'm extremely happy...the group is a loud, spacerock/pop band that has alot of delay/superfuzz feedback type of stuff, and the main bass was a '65 hagstrom.
    cabinets were 2 aggie gs1x12's.
    i always liked the tone-stack, and using an a/b box to have an extra signal sent to the 2nd input is great...
    the amp opened up nicely with the input gain at 4-5 and the master at 3...
    this thing is loud, and can really sing, especially with slightly microphonic pups in a small space...slammed it a good 2 hours solid, it
    didn't flinch, and really blossomed nicely when it warmed up.
    beautiful.
    here's a few pics.... and quad, it wasn't from towson.;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    needs a cleaning, it's pretty dusty.
    cheers

15. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Simple. They all have good deals on stuff they think won't sell, or stuff that needs repair. Got my SVP-PRO for $200 from GC... the solid state EQ was clipping way too early, so I returned it for repair... just so happens they send it out to Dennis Krager's shop... no problemo when it came back with a noname chinese tube in V5. It's a Sovtek LPS now. ;)

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    GREAT DEAL! Congrats on picking up one of my favorite heads! Next thing I'd do (even though they are new) is get those junk Mesa tubes out of there. Put some JJs or Svetlanas in there, and you'll be amazed at how much better it sounds. I had Electro Harmonix 12Ax7s in my pre, and Reflektor/Svetlanas in the power section in mine, and it was like night and day compared to the Mesa tubes.

17. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Wow, talk about a great deal! The best part is that should you decide to sell it, you'll make a pretty good profit. That never hurt anyone. :smug:

Congrats!

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow, that is a stellar deal! In fact, it's probably in violation of Bergantino's dealer agreements, but what the heck, great score for you! :cool:

19. Quadzilla

Yeah man, great deal on the Berg. I paid damn near double that after shipping!!!

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

+1. Awesome price on an awesome cab.