Mesa/Boogie 400 used price

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cosmo_Smallpiece, Nov 29, 2004.

1. I'm thinking of buying a M/B 400+ and I know a guy who's selling a 400 ( the older model ), but he wants £1000 for it.

I don't know much about the used price of these in the UK, but bearing in mind that The Gallery is knocking out new ones for £1650, I'd be grateful for any opinions.
  2. It sounds about right i sold my Ampeg SVTCL recently for £1200 and they cost £1500 new so the same would hold true for the Mesa 400.
    Just be aware that if it is a few years old the tubes could need replacing, total price about £200 for decent matched set of power tubes and set of pre amp tubes.

To be honest it depends on the condition, if it looks neglected and tatty walk away, get or wait for a better deal.

My SVTCL was like new when i sold her and the guy got a real good deal and a brand new looking amp.

Its alot of dosh to spend on secondhand gear, be careful !!
  3. Yeah I decided against in the end. Like you say it's a lot of money to spend on used gear, especially 15 years old. It also had some evidence of butchery. A previous owner had sawn off the rack ears. Some people eh?
  4. birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
  5. That does look like a good deal with the cabs !!
  6. birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Thats what I was thinking! If I hadnt already got a nice rig I would be seriously bidding on that.

7. The other thing to wonder about is that rig is very underpriced, the amp alone is worth £1000 and two cabs maybe another £500 so why is it so low in buy it now ??

Is it faulty maybe, damaged, stolen ??? or maybe it is a genuine deal. I would only pay this sort of dosh if i could see it and try it first especially on Ebay !!

8. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    It doesn't look in very good condition.... definitely well used/gigged.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was ex-rental stock that had been abused....
  9. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I don't know if that is underpriced. I paid $450 for my 400 head. I would have never paid $100 US for it, never mind 100 pounds! Still, it is worth every penny I did pay for it.
  10. Hello you guys are in the USA we live in rip off Britain everything is twice your prices, Mesa and Ampeg are twice what you guys get it for.
  11. birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    To give you more idea I paid £430.00 for a 2nd hand 1516 mesa cab in the summer which looks similar to the cabs there but its a 15 at bottom and a 10 and 2 6s at top. It sounds fantastic but has definately been around and is tatty but I love it. If we assume that the cab is worth that on ebay then the head is about the same value.
  12. Groovehunter

Dec 3, 2004
    guys I had a super lucky deal on my mesa 400+ it's immaculate. Paid £700 for it with the flight case. It was listed by the guy as a private sale for £900 up in Liverpool but I drove up from Wales and took it for £700. It sounds AMAZING and it's in stupidly good condition. Heavy as hell though, but a bottom end to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!