Mesa Boogie 400 + VS Ampeg B5R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Morris, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Morris

Morris Guest

Oct 7, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales
    Hi. My quest for a new amp continues....
    I am now interested in getting a really loud head and have come up with a choice. A second hand Mesa Boogie 400 + (12yrs old) or a 4 month old Ampeg B5R.

Now I appreciate that they are both seperate beasts with the Mesa being all valve. The Ampeg seems to have a lot going for it as solid state heads go and with the inclusion of a distortion channel plus a sub octave circuit, it goes some way to giving me the integrated FX option that made me interested in the SWR Mo Bass (see my other threads) but obviously is does not have the beautiful thwump of a valve head. Now I have tried a brand new 400+ and was taken by it. It was a really satisfying amp. However I have not been able to try a B5R so I am keen to know how it would compare in terms of power and tone. The Ampeg has got portability and reliability on its side but does it sound as good?
  2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Well, I tried to sell you a "Buster" & look what happened!:D
    Ampegs are great sounding units; I have a V4BH
    that is fantastic.
    The B5 is their new hybrid with effect circuits, you know all that.
    Here's what I think:
    You seem to like tube circuits (you're a man of good taste), you seem to like Mesa (ditto).
    I'm betting that a few 400+ users are gonna testify soon, with good reason-That head is a classic.
    Morris, sooner or later you gotta step up to the plate & swing, so here's a few other choices to mess you up-
    Look at the SVT-II, it;s a MONSTER!
    Look at an SVT classic.
    Depending on the cab you use,your bass, etc,
    one of these should float.
    You can't go wrong with a 400+ no how, no way
    I also wanted to add, that the Mesa has a great effects loop that lets you mix in the amount of effect signal ,wet ot dry. Buster has it, I'm pretty sure the 400 does too. IMO this is a better way of signal processing (using exterior pedals, etc.) than having effects integrated into the head like the'Mo Bass. Leave the head for pure clean tone reproduction & add stuff to the signal chain from the outside, I think.
  3. New Mesa 400+ for Sale
    Mesa Boogie 400+ Bass Amplifier. 7 months old. Perfect Condition. Never Gigged out. I bought it to have a second one, decided I only need one. Must have at least one! I paid $1300.00 before the price increase of $100.00. A new one will cost $1400.00 fixed price.

Completely re-tubed.
    New Svetlana 6L6GC power tubes. (12)
    New Electro Harmonics 12AX7EH (4)
    Also have new set of Boogie Tubes complete that came with the amp. I just like the others better.

With SKB case (modified for 400+ fan) and ALL the tubes mentioned above. $1250.00

With SKB case and original Boogie tubes only.$1050.00.
  4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    He's in England, Bro!

(Nice move w/ the Svetlanas-I have them in my Buster, Killer!)

(2) 400+ ? Way to go!
  5. Morris

Morris Guest

Oct 7, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales
    Thanks Larry for the help. I don't mean to abandon you on the Buster its just that I tried it out again the other day and I don't think its got enough power for me. I cannot deny that the Buster has fantastic tone but you see I play with a very hard, aggresive fingerstyle which I found made the sound break up too much at the volume level that I need. It got me thinking about the 400+ that they had in the store. I tried it out and Sheesh!! Plenty of power in that beast!
  6. Morris
    Crossing the "Pond" anytime soon? If you happen to be in Northwest Indiana, I sell you my stuff..
  7. Morris

Morris Guest

Oct 7, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales
    Gee you fellas are so nice!

I'll keep you posted on what I decide to get but again thanks for all the info.
  8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)