Mesa Boogie 400+ vs Peavey Classic 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Ok, I have a Classic 400 and am thinking about getting a Mesa 400+. It may either replace or join my Peavey depending on if I like it more, or less, etc (if less, I get rid if it). Anybody here used both (hint, TomBowlus and others)? Good/bad points of each? My band plays a 50/50 mix of classic and modern rock. I use a Berg NV610 (sealed 10's) cab.
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Bass 400 (not 400+), but after having it serviced to install bias trim pots, it's not quite right yet. :( But, I am confident that this shop will take care of me. So, without having it on hand, I can only give a "comparison from recollection", which has many drawbacks. But, with those caveats, I'd say that the Classic 400 can get more buzzsaw like in its distortion, and it wins the overall volume war. The Bass 400/400+ has a more warm, organic, but still articulate tone, and can get grindy, but not as over the top on the overdive/distortion.

Please take the above with a huge grain of salt.

3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I've owned the 400+, I've played through two of the Peaveys. I GREATLY prefer the Mesa.
  4. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would find it hard not to like the Mesa Bass 400+, once you learn how the controls on it work. I dont know anything about the Peavey. The 400/400+ are some beautiful and very flexible amps. I use mine to get a hi-fi and deep, punchy sound for progressive metal and alternative metal music.