Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie 400 vs. Sunn 300T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bad Gas, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Bad Gas

Bad Gas Guest

Sep 28, 2004
    I was turned on to 300 watt tube heads after a friend of mine loaned me a Fender Bassman 300 Pro. I fell in love with the thing and decided I needed to leave the world of GK solid state amps behind me. It looks like I'm going to be winning an auction on a Mesa Boogie 400.

I was thinking of holding out for a Sunn 300T because I've been playing that Fender Bassman 300, which, I guess, is designed after the Sunn 300T.

Is the Mesa Boogie 400 a comparable amp?

2. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    Does anyone have opinions on this? I am kind of interested in the mesa, but i think is going to be out of my price range. Anyone know the price of the mesa 400+ (new and also the general cost of a used one)

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think the Bassman 300 is the exact same amp as the Sunn 300T. If I were you I'd go find and try out a Mesa Boogie 400+

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I was interested in both at one point too. Though ended up with 400+ which I am very happy with, sounds great. Though I would love to have the opportunity to mess around with the Bassman. I think its a bit cheaper than the 400+ and has more features, compressor, dirty channel and a more useful footswitch. However I question the durability or quality of the Bassman, the Mesa stuff is hand made in the USA, don't think the Fender is. Maybe its not an issue but its something to consider I think. Also I am not sure about the 6550's instead of 6L6's. I also love rackmountable stuff as well.

5. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    what knid of price am i looking at for the mesa? i cant find any online retailers selling them.

6. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Have a near new SUNN 300T for sale AND IT IS MADE in Corona CA before production was shipped off south.

Just too heavy for me now - PM me if interested

7. Mesa doesn't allow online sales. Thats only for new merchandise though. I think a 400+ is 1499.00 US.

8. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    is that brand new? whats second hand prices generally like?

9. Yeah, thats band new. Second hand can go anywhere from 600 to 900 depending on condition and tubes.

10. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Yeah, 1500.00 new and I got mine used for 800.00 with a new set of tubes. I think thats about the going rate for a used one in good shape.

11. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    well thats the best news ive had in a long time. looks like im getting a mesa. Woohooo

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Are you getting a 400 or a 400+? They are different you know. Some of the 400s aren't comparable to the Sunn, since they were rated at 180 watts, not 300.

13. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    400+ hopefully. how does that compare to the sunn/fender?

14. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    sorry to double post but benjamin i cant help but notice that you work in a music store that sells mesa amps. What does your store sell the 400+ at?

15. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    We don't carry Mesa/Boogie stuff anymore. Meh. There's still a few Buster combos left over, and an M2000. I'll sell any of those for about 20% off, which is about 10% over cost.

I couldn't give a good opinion comparing the 400+ to the Sunn 300, since I haven't tried the Sunn. They're supposed to be pretty good amps - is the one you're looking at a new Fender version, or the old one?

16. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    fender. is that price estimate of about $1500 for the 400+ a reasonable one in your opinion?

17. I have not played through both, but I have heard both amps and I liked the sound and tone quality of the 400+ better. the 300T had a good vintage tone but it had a muffled quality to it, like there was something obstructing what you would expect the full sound to be. I also think the design of the 300T is way overcomplicated.

the Mesa 400+ is very loud and had a great tone that comes out and punches you in the gut. that's just my opinion, I know that if it were me...I would go for a 400+

you should also consider the ampeg SVT classic if you have not looked at that one already, there is another classic tube head.

and if you really want to rule the world get a Trace Elliot V6 or V8 :D

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yup. That's what they cost.

So the Sunn isn't really a Sunn? Is it this what you're talking about?

[​IMG]

19. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    yeah thats the one. i meant to say fender at the start, sorry. Sure there the same amp anyway. So how does it compare with the mesa?

20. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, other than features, I have no idea. I've spent alot of time with the 400+, and absolutely none with the Fender. It appears I can't be much help here this time.