Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa/Boogie 400+ w/ Avatar Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeDaddio, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

I've got a Mesa Bass 400+ that I am currently running through a SWR Goliath III 4x10. I have been looking at Avatar's bass cabinets for a little while now, thinking to myself that I could sell y Goliath III and Workingman's 15'' combo and be well on my way to a brand new B410 Pro 4x10 and B212 2x12. Anyone have experience with Avatar speakers and a 400+, or another all tube amp?

I hear great things about Avatar, but still their low prices kind of scare me. I'm basically looking for a nice, fat, bottom heavy cabinet that will be able to push a lot of air.

You guys think it would be worth it to kick out SWR and bring in Avatar? Any opinions, suggestions would be great. Thanks a lot guys!

joe

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I use my 400+ with an Avatar B410 Delta and I have no problem with plenty of bottom and mids. It thunders nicely, has plenty of cut and definition by itself. You may not need a 2nd cab, I sure don't but I'm not in a super loud band. Also, the B410 Pro seems to have acquired an early rep as having a somewhat scooped midrange so beware of that before buying.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm using a 400+ with a Avatar SB112 on the bottom and another brand of 4x10 on the top. It sounds great to me. plenty of lows for my needs...The price was great and the cab is definitely decent...light, sturdy and well built. They save $$$ on the crossover and by selling direct to louts like me.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Sell the Workingman and get a 212. The Goliath III in my opinion is superior to Avatar, though I do love Avatar cabs. The Gol III would go nicely on a 212 or 115.

5. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I too am thinking of getting an Avatar 2x12 cab. But to go below my SWR Goli III. I currently use the SWR SOB 1x15 under the 4x10 and would like to try the 2x12 to see what difference it makes. How is that Workingmans 1x15 cab working for you? I was going to but one just as the prices were dropping, then all of a sudden all the online stores I was watching them on were out of them at the same time it seems, no more to be had. Anyway folks here seem to really like that 2x12 cab, but it seems to be frequently followed by "good cab for the money", kinda makes me shy too. Only one real way to find out I guess, is to pull that trigger.

6. The Workingmans 15'' was a great purchase, I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever, but I was looking to go to a seperate amp/cab system so I could mess with speaker configurations, get a bit more power, and go all tube.

I'll probably sell off the Workingmans, get an Avatar 2x12 and drop that puppy under the Goliath III.

Thanks,

joe

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Anyone ever try a 4 cab stack of SB112?

The Mesa will drive a 2ohm load won't it?

Four 8ohm cabs paralleled is 2ohm.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've thought about this, but haven't tried it...My deal right now is to shrink my gear...I'd like to get down to 2 small boxes, even for the biggest of shows. I'm thinking the Avatar w/ a Schroeder 1210 should do it...but I'll have to switch out the speaker in my SB112 to make a Ohm match, otherwise I'll be pushing 2.666 ohms.

9. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    I use a 400+ and an Avatar 2x10" at small shows and an Avatar 4x10" (Both Delta's...Both 4 ohmers) at larger clubs. I haven't had any problems yet. Plenty loud and clean...even the 2x10. And it's a nice compact rig...Not too much crap to lug around! I play punk and metal music.