Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa boogie 400+ with a 2x15 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kilgoja, May 26, 2005.

1. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    just bought my 400+ with a 2x15 cabinet....i used to have an ampeg svt classic with an 8x10 cabinet....i can get pretty much the same sound out of either one...they are slightly different....the mesa takes a little tinkering because i wasn't used to having an eq on the amp..but i think the mesa is better once you figure it out...you can get a lot of different sounds out of the 400+...and the mesa 2x15 cabinet sounds great...i would recommend spending a little more for the mesa instead of getting an svt...plus you get 200 more watts ...and that doesn't hurt...an ampeg svt cl head is about $1200 and the mesa is about $1500...the cabs are about the same price...ampeg 8x10 and the mesa 2x15..about $1000

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    A few things to add here:
    1) 500 watts peak on the Mesa, 300 RMS just like the SVT
    2) The Ampeg is actually closer to $1500; the SVT-2 Pro is more like $1700
    Now that I've said that, I have a Mesa 400+ going through an EV 215 and it sounds awesome. If you didn't like the SVT though, its more likely due to the cab than the head. Both the SVT and the 400+ are great heads. However, I'd take the 400+ over a CL, but comparing the 400+ to an origional SVT with good tubes, I would probabally take the old SVT, but the Mesa is much more versitle.

3. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    no....i'm not saying that....i loved my svt...it's a great amp...i just like the 400+ better.....you can shape your sound a lot more and it is just built better...easier to change the tubes...especially the preamp tubes....the svt preamp tubes were buried inside somewhere....lol