1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie 400+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Melkin, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Melkin

Melkin

Apr 14, 2015
    Sweden
    Hello fellow bassplayers!
    Im a bassist from Sweden and new on TB. I just sold my M/B Basis M-2000 and i am now looking for a new amp head. Got a decent budget now and I want to get the real deal and settle down ;)
    We have a Swedish version of TB and on there everybody is crazy about the M/B 400+. I have now been offered to buy one, well two actually. One is the version with a 6 band EQ wich is the one that is closer to me geographically The other one is further away and has a 7 band EQ. Both same price. I've never gotten a chance to try one but gonna go try a friends 400 tomorrow. So first qustion is: Does anyone know if there is any noticable difference between the two EQ versions? Is one better sounding than the other?
    Question number two: I play some kinda Alt-Rock, Funk, Punk/Rock music and do a fair deal of slapping Les Claypool/ Flea style, NOT the Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten kinda slap. I like a raw big sound but also appreciate the modern clean tone of Flea.
    You guys think a 400+ would suit me at all or should I look into more SS amps instead of Tube?
    I just missed out on a Aguilar db750 that was recommended to me..

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Definitely go and check it out, that's the best way to tell if it's for you or not.
    It would work very well for what you're describing. I do believe that Les Claypool used 400+'s for a while.
    I believe the 6 band EQ models were just the earliest versions, and the 7 band came out a little later. I have a 6 band myself.

You mention that you're going to try a 400 so keep in the mind that the 400 is not the same amp as the 400+. I can't tell you the exact tonal differences as they're more similar than different sounding. I know they have different power tubes.

3. Melkin

Melkin

Apr 14, 2015
    Sweden
    Thanks Dave for your quick reply. Yes im aware that they are not the exact same amps, but its as close as i can get to trying one out. Ok i thought it was same power tubes (6L6) but just twice as many in the 400+.
    Yea Les did play them during 90's but he also used preamps with them.
    I think i might have to ens up with two riggs eventually because i play in two different bands and need different sounds all the time. For fretless for ex i really like to have a really crisp clear sound. I did try a SWR sm-400 that sounded very hi-fi and could work for that and as a second amp..
    Hmm choices..

4. Melkin

Melkin

Apr 14, 2015
    Sweden
    I kinda want both thats the dilemma
    I like the dirt and meat but also the crisp, clear Hi-fi tones.