Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maxbass, May 3, 2004.

1. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Anyone here knows when they start making the 400+?

A guy is selling one back from 1982, not the 400, the 400+.
    Do you think it's possible?

2. Tell him to give you the serial number, and you can call Mesa and find out. My 400+ has a copyright that says 1982, but i got it last year brand spanking new.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Hmm... this is a toughie. I believe that the D180 came out in 1980-81, the 400 in 1982, and the 400+ in late 83 to early 84. Keep in mind that the copyright could be much earlier than when the amp was actually released.

Both the 400 and the 400+ are great amps. Can't go wrong with either one. I believe that they put out the same wattage, due to the 400 using 6550's, and the 400+ using 6l6s.

4. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
  5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Makes me wonder if there's any or much of a difference in weight between the two. :confused:

Anyone have any idea?

6. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Yeah, I'm curious about these amps. I'm looking for a tube amp for my bass rig... anyone know how much one of these would run used? I'm looking for either a 400+, SVT, or SVT Pro-2. Also, what cabs go well with these? I was thinking of going for the Bergantino NV610.

7. Around 9AM Pacific Standard Time, Monday through Friday.

OK, I figured you'd gotten all the "real" answers you were going to get. Like reasonbass said, the 1982 date is screened on the back of the amp, more as a design copyright date than the date of manufacture of the amplifier.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Actually, it's Monday through Thursday. They are closed on Fridays.