1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Boogie 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maxbass, May 3, 2004.

1. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Anyone here knows when they start making the 400+?

A guy is selling one back from 1982, not the 400, the 400+.
    Do you think it's possible?

2. Tell him to give you the serial number, and you can call Mesa and find out. My 400+ has a copyright that says 1982, but i got it last year brand spanking new.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Hmm... this is a toughie. I believe that the D180 came out in 1980-81, the 400 in 1982, and the 400+ in late 83 to early 84. Keep in mind that the copyright could be much earlier than when the amp was actually released.

Both the 400 and the 400+ are great amps. Can't go wrong with either one. I believe that they put out the same wattage, due to the 400 using 6550's, and the 400+ using 6l6s.

4. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Thanx guys!

5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA.
    Makes me wonder if there's any or much of a difference in weight between the two. :confused:

Anyone have any idea?

6. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Yeah, I'm curious about these amps. I'm looking for a tube amp for my bass rig... anyone know how much one of these would run used? I'm looking for either a 400+, SVT, or SVT Pro-2. Also, what cabs go well with these? I was thinking of going for the Bergantino NV610.

7. Around 9AM Pacific Standard Time, Monday through Friday.

OK, I figured you'd gotten all the "real" answers you were going to get. Like reasonbass said, the 1982 date is screened on the back of the amp, more as a design copyright date than the date of manufacture of the amplifier.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Actually, it's Monday through Thursday. They are closed on Fridays.

9. Curses, foiled again.