Mesa/Boogie 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jul 21, 2000.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I stumbled over a used Mesa 400+ at my local dealer the other day. I really like the sound of it and I like the fact that I can change the tubes myself without biastweeking.
    Whats your opinions about it?
  2. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    The MESA/Boogie Bass 400+ Rules! I've used one for over a year now and am very happy. Very flexiable eq, tons of punch and a great tone. I've used in the past an Ampeg SVT IV, and an Ampeg SVT 350H (which I sometimes connect to the slave out on the boogie and then add even more speakers, for EVEN more low end)The amp responds really well to dynamics and makes you really present in the mix. The customer service from MESA/Boogie also can't be beat, whether you bought your amp new or used. I highly recomend this head.
  3. I have been using the 400+ for just under 6 months and also love mine. The louder you turn it up the better it sounds ( although it still sounds great at low volume, but who wants that !!? ). I also have the 6*10 and 2*15 diesal cabs, they also kick ass. I would like to recomend to you the Svetlana 6L6GC tubes for that amp, if you buy tubes from Mesa they are good but way to over-priced. Try :, they are a lot cheaper and they will match them to fit your Mesa. Have fun with your Mesa,

4. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    You cannot just install any tubes and be done with it. It is a good idea to adjust the bias when you change tubes even though boogie says you don't have to. You may not have to if you use their tubes in the head but you do not want to pay for their tubes. Besides that, it is a nice head. I've had one for four years or so now. Tubes are expensive, cause their is 12, and filter caps are expensive to replace and a slight pain to replace yourself. They seem to sell for pretty high also so if you get a good deal you should be able to resell it in the future without losing much money.
  5. I also ordered Svetlana 6L6GC for my Boogie from the tubestore. They were very helpful. You want to get matched sets and stay in the middle voltage output range. They know what the 400+ likes. I got 3quads matched in 20,21,22 and that is better than the best 5% tolerance range that is the standard for matched tubes. The new tubes sound real good too. They are expensive, but if you follow all the be nice to your tube rules they should last a long time. As far biasing, the Boogie's are fixed and the only way I know how to bias them is to have a tech check the permenant bias resistor on each circuit, and then get your tubes. OR >> you can have a bias pot installed to adjust. I think the best rule of thumb is to use the proper tube for your amp and when it starts to sound crappy, change them. It should be easy because tubestore identifies every tube with it's output voltage and if one goes bad you can order the exact replacement for that socket. I am relativly new at the tube game myself, so if you want to verify what I've learned please update everyone. What I can tell you is Boogie sells a 5881GB and recommends those because they feel the low mids cut though better, thus your sound cut through the mix better. I don't buy it. I had Sovtek 5581GB and they are durable but muddy up in about 5 months of moderate use. I heard they were production rejects for what I forget, but like I said it is a matter of taste. You can always add some mids on your amp or guitar if it's an active. Just my opionion.
  6. Pete for you.
    I've had a 400+ for a year now and play a Lakland 5594 five string. It sounds real good. I just put some Svetlana 6L6GC in my amp yesterday, and so far it sounds real good. I had Sovtek 5581GB that I got for $10.00 each. They sounded good for about 5 months then they started to break up. Although dependable tubes, I didn'nt much like the sound. Too crunchy and it was makin both my Eden cabs sound like the speakers were compromised on the lower registers. I have an Eden 210XLT and 410XLT both 8ohm, but I find I need something to push to the back of the room. I just ordered a Epifani 2x12 and should get it this week. The 2x12 only comes in 4ohm, so I can't use either Eden cab with the Epifani.
    Now here is my question to you. I am assuming that both of your Boogie cabs are 4ohms which you probably go into the two 2ohm jacks on your 400+. If I am correct in my assumtion, how does your amp handle those two big speaker cabs at the 2ohm load?? Does it heat up quicker, does it sound better, do you really need that many speakers?? Do you have sound reinforcement through your PA system? My reason behind these questions is to decide if someday I want another cab, weather or not to go the two 4ohm route of just improve my 8ohm cab situation. 2ohm no matter how you look at it is pusing it in my opinion, but the amp thing is enough to drive a person to over the edge sometimes. Your opion please.
  7. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    Big String,
    Tube amps work differently than solid state as far as impedance goes. The tube amp puts out the same power at all the ohm ratings as opposed to solid state which puts out more the lower ohms you go, to a point. The tube amps use different taps off of the output transformer to match the output impedance of the tubes to the impedance of the cabinet or cabinets you are using.
  8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have the older Bass 400 with 6-6550's and it's served me well. The thing has great punchy tone and can really fill up a room with my SWR cabs. My only problem with it is that I think the fx loop is set for +4db line level effects but I use stompboxes which run at -10db so the preamp overloads the effects. Is this a problem on the newer Bass 400+?
  9. :bassist: \m/ The Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ kicks serious arse

Ive had mine for maybe a month (after lusting for it for about a year) and the 2x15 Diesel cab, a lot of people claim that 15s lack the punch and high end of 10s, ITS NOT TRUE!
    My Mesa rig sounds great even with a guitar, I can use the 2nd channel cranked to give me that sweet overdrive, and then use that master volume to get that disembowelingly ferocious power.

Has anyone else ever encountered the hard-wired powercord chasis?
  10. whoops, didnt realise i hit the "Last" button instead of "2"
  11. anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I've had my 400+, for 2 months. I bought used, with a mesa cab. 1516be (r.r.)--- (1x15/1x10/2x6+horn). This rig sounds amazing, great tone, good punch. After lugging this 200(?) lb. cab up and down stairs,(by myself). I bought a berg nv-610. (Sounds better, with the berg). Next up, is a new set of (JJ) tubes. Check out my thread, about, making the 400+, sound better, at lower volumes. It's a set of 5, toggle switches, that would shut down pairs, of power tubes. (giving this amp, a selectible, 300w-250w-200w-150w-100w or 50w. Max output. (Search T/B post) / (mesa 400+amp mod???) I plan on trying this mod soon.
  12. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I traded my Aggie AG500 head to a fellow TB'er for a 400+. After purchasing a Berg NV425, I had to try an all tube head. I am absolutely in love with this set up:hyper: .
    It doesn't sound, to my ears, quite as good through my Aggie GS212 as it does through the Berg, but that's what I got it for. My amp GAS is gone. My current GAS consists of starting a pedalboard.
    Oh, can I post a pic.... please!!!!
  13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The 400+ rocks. Playing it into a Bergie NV cab makes it even better :smug: . Playing it into a NV 610 with a HT 210 on top is absolute heaven :D .
  14. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    What can you expect to pay for a new 400+ ?
  15. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Too much, if you can even find one. They're actually easier to find used (at least in the US) and much cheaper. The last one I saw new was over $1200, years ago. Used, they can be found for ~ $800 or less.
  16. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Looking at the dates of the posts, this is the thread that won't die, I guess.

00Funk, I was at a Mesa dealer about a month ago, and I believe the price for a new one is $1600. I agree with Fealach, you can get them a lot cheaper used (under $1k for sure) in the TB Classifieds, ebay (they come up all the time) and elsewhere.
  17. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    While this is up here, help refresh my memory. It's been a while since I've had my rig hooked up (no gigs, haha). I run my 400 into two 8 ohm cabs. Do I hook them into the 4 ohm or 8 ohm output. I know if it was solid state, I'd do 4 ohm, but as stated above, do I need to plug them both into the 8 ohm outputs?
  18. Yeah, I had one with that type of power cable. Annoying...

Plug into the 4 Ohm outs. You plug into the outs that your total cab impedance comes to.
  19. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Haha, The thing is I've been told both by different people... I'll just call mesa on monday.
  20. anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.

geggy spoiger is corect.

Check this out: 400 Plus.pdf