Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie 400+???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jan 10, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ok by now most probably gueesed that I'm looking for a tube head. I've tried a SVT CL, and a 300PS. How does the mesa Boogie 400+ compair to these heads? RIght now I'm leaning towards the Ampeg, cause of the different ohm settings. I'm basically looking for a cleanish WARM tube amp. My FBB 5er sounded great through the Ampeg SVT-CL.

2. I have never tried a Bass 400+. I owned a Bass 400 that had 6550's in it. I would think that the 400+ should be a warm sounding amp because it has 6L6's(5881's?) in it and that is a very warm sounding tube that used to be used in some of the Ampeg Portaflex amps.

3. Finest all tube bass rig you could buy IMO. Great customer support to back it up and if a tube blows, just yank it out and keep on grooving less a cylinder.

4. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    I just played through a Boogie 400+ head two days ago, and while I can't speak to the comparison question I can definitely tell you this--it is not ever gonna get characterized as a cold, sterile-sounding head. I don't think it's capable of that unless you smashed the whole thing and threw it in the deepfreezer. I was so impressed I bought one. ..nearly bought the new one but found one used and saved a little money.

I have heard complaints about this head bein' a "one-trick pony" or "one-tone bone" if you will. I can't honestly speak to that either. I don't mind having a less-than-superversatile head as long as what I do get from it is candy, I wasn't looking for a "does everything under the sun" amp. I wanted it to do a few things very very well (modern rock, classic rock, Motown/funk, blues) and I'm positive I won't be disappointed.

fremenblue

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    fremenblue
    WHat did you like so much about it?

6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I have owned a new Ampes SVT II Pro, an SVT IV Pro, Trace pre/Crownpower, Eden WT800, Nav+WT1000, 1971 SVT Vintage.

These were all good+ sounding amps. The Mesa 400+ with JJ Tesla 6L6GCs beats them all by a good measure, except the 71 SVT.

The Russian Mesa 5881 (STR 425) tubes were cardboardy compared to the JJs. And I heard the chinese tubes were worse.

This amp puts out full power at 2,4 & 8 Ohms.
    I'm using 2 Eden 4-10XLTs and sometimes a Sonic/EV 1-18 with one 4-10.

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Rock
    What do you like about the mesa more than all your other amps? How does your Fbass sound through it?

8. Rockbobmel

The Mesa has a lot of headroom. I does not fuzz out like some tube amps.

It has a big girthy juicy sound that is really punchy. The mids are more subtle than an SVT, but the FBass has strong mids.

Prolly why the other amps sounded too mid heavy.But the Mesa cuts through just as well.

The notes are MUCH more defined and articulate than any other amp I've tried. But very even sounding. Well balanced and controlable and responsive.

9. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    sound like what I'm looking for!!! I think I really have to go try one out soon!!! maybe torrow:D

10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    tomorrow* I suck tonight at typing

11. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    i just started recording our album tonight and i have to state that this is simply the best amp in the world. i do not care. svt's are great (never heard a true one but after tonite don't have any desire too) but the 400+ is amazing. it's strong, punchy, ballsy, and full of tone, i love it.

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Damn all this talk of how good they are makes me really want one!!! How much do they go for used??

13. Rockbobmel

Did you switch to Svetlana or JJ tubes??

BIG diff!!

14. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've heard that Svetlana are pretty much the best tubes made today

15. Rockbobmel

I see em all the time on ebay for $700 and up. Plan on spending about $200. more for Svet or JJ tubes.

16. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    SWEET! now only if I can get rid of my Steward PA-1000 power amp;)

17. if yer even CONSIDERING buying one...

JUST DO IT!

Bass 400 is the best amp i have played in my life, and that amounts to 27 years of playing through bass rigs the size of refrigerators... :)

By the way, Paul McCartney (who probably knows a thing or two about bass-playing) has been using a couple of BASS 400s for all his gigs the last 15 years or so (including the latest tour)

18. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    I've been out on the solid state world, I started with Trace Elliot. It had something nice but . ..lacked . .. airiness to the tone. I picked up an Ashdown amp, a MAG200 and it IS sweet, no doubt. I really like that amp, but it also has a history of overheating and frying because there's no fan. And, tonewise, still that thing missing. I thought it was power.
    I bought an Ampeg SVP-BSP and a power amp and figured I had it. After all, I've got the best of both worlds--two channel pre with a tube side for overdrive. It's gotta work with all that power to push it in my power amp. Still--nope. That was a hell of a lot closer, but not it. Still lacking in a certain roundness and airiness. That's when I began suspecting.
    When I was in college we had a B-15 fliptop for use in the music room. I really got a taste of tube amps then. Also, revisiting 70's music I grew up with but now using a more educated ear--there's that thing I'd hear that I just couldn't get with my gear. I also dug into other stuff, like Allman Brothers and Duane's Anthology 1 and 2. I could just about see those tubes glowing through the recordings.
    When I plugged into the Mesa Boogie I knew I was in trouble. There is the airiness, the roundness, that I so love. There in that amp I could hear the potential of being able to capture some of what's in my head, what was put there through years of simply absorbing music as a child of the seventies.
    I confess that it's got me a little power-drunk as well. This is not a meek, weak amp. You can remove roof shingles with it. You can knock plaster off the wall. One guy on another forum just got one, took it down in the basement, cranked it up and broke a vase the next floor up that was sitting next to an air vent.
    That amp I hope will be the key to being able to express the sound I have in my head, that magical musical tone I've been chasing for some time. Everybody's got a sound in there that needs out. For some it can be got to through Glockenklang, for someone else it might only take a cheap combo 15", a P-copy and a pick. For me I'm hoping that it's this amp. I played a Jazz through it though I'm usually a Precision guy. I knew if I came back with my Precision I'd end up buying it from the store and that would be a bit much dollarwise--new they go for 1300. I got mine for $900 plus $30 shipping. That doesn't sound like a stupendous savings until you realize I'm getting a full set of Boogie tubes worth $240 and a four-space rack in the deal. Thank you, God! ;) I think he likes tubes too.

fremenblue

"punchdrunk on tubes"

19. I foolishly traded my old and faithful 400+ up for the (at the time) new-fangled M-2000. I got a little tired of huffing around that big ol' TV set but what these folks have said is very correct; this is the best amp I ever played through. I have written much about this rig here on TB so won't say much again but will (once again) pass along my secret "God" setting; all tone controls on "5", all pull shifts "out",ignore the graphic 'cepting for room eq and then....split yer signal into BOTH preamps. The resulting sound is so punchy and fat, stunning.

20. Rockbobmel

I've been using you settings. THANKS MUCHO!!
    My amp sounds much better with the JJs in it,also.

I hope you can get back into the 400+.

It's not even 50 lbs in a case.

An SVT is 85lbs +.