Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumper, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I got to try my new (used) 400+ last nite at practice and it lived up to all the positive comments I've heard. I have until Monday to return it, but it ain't goin' nowhere! What an experience! I didn't even have to mess with any settings, I left the EQ flat, bass at 4, mid at 4, treble at 2 and got air moving like I've never felt before. My lead player said he could feel air at 8 feet away, my back was actually vibrating (SWR Goliath III 410 and Eden 115 XLT).

When I first turned it on, I thought maybe it could use a little more bass, once we started playing I forgot all about it. Even better, we picked up a 2nd lead/rhythm player who brought his rig in last nite, and I had NO problem punching through them at will and I heard every note I played. I kept asking if my volume was too high because it sounded overpowering to me, but everyone said leave it alone. This was with my Fbass, when I plugged in the Rob Allen I thought the ceiling was going to collapse.

The guys are happy. After practice, I went upstairs and asked the resident "she" if she could I was too loud, she said other than the heater vents rattling, nothing was damaged. This has definitely put my Eden WT300 into a backup status.

RB, I'll send a check Monday, just wanted to make sure I was keeping it. BTW, it has 425 tubes in it.

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A Boogie 400+ is about as far from an Eden WT300 as it gets! BTW, the tone stack on the Mesa is essentially like an old Fender Bassman. Flat is NOT 12 o'clock. Flat on the mid is 10 as it's cut only. The settings you were using would result in a very scooped sound. I had a very enlightening email correspondence with Tim at Mesa Boogie about that amp last year and the result was a setting that just kills. The tone controls are very interactive and small adjustments go a long way. There's also a fair amount of 400+ expertise on this board. Be sure and try both inputs, quite a difference. Have fun ruling your band!

3. Please! Don't keep us in suspense.

Enlighten us as to the "killer" settings or their whereabouts. I have a Mesa Walkabout and am getting a 400+, and it took me much time and effort to find "the" setting on the Walk.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Keeping in mind that my idea of "killer" and yours may be totally different, here's a little background. This is an excerpt from an email I got from Tim McKee at Mesa Boogie--

"Those pots are very sensitive. 5 is a good starting point. Mids as low as 2 may be too much pulling of the mids. I would have them at least at 3.5-4.5. Like I said, very subtle. Check it out. Some boomier rooms may dictate that you pull out some lows as there will be so much available through natrual acoustics."

My "perfect" settings ended up being:

MID - 4.5
    BASS - 5 (Pulled)
    TREBLE - 6
    MASTER - 5

The master setting is important. The 400+ is designed to give its optimum sound with the master set on 5 (according to Tim at Mesa). So you then use the channel volume to set your volume. When I was using this amp on every gig (about a year and a half ago) I was using a Fender Jaco Signature Jazz bass through the channel 2 input. I typically ran a Mesa Road Ready 4x10 or RR 2x15. I also occasionally used a RR 1x18 and RR 2x10 (I've since dumped the 2x10 but kept the others). Obviously, YMMV.

I bought the 400+ I still have new. I recently sold an older one but I'm keeping the 400+ in my arsenal. The best bass amp in current production, IMO.

5. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Boogiebass, our settings aren't that different, I'm running most of my basses through a Fodera 2000 pre-amp (2nd best piece of gear I've ever bought). If I wasn't, your settings would be about where I think I would be. Thanks for the input from Mesa.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool. :cool:

7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Welcome to the 400+ club. It's amazing what a difference it makes. There is a wde sweetspot. I tried these last night EQ slight smile 100hz up a little.Mid 3.5 Bass 7.5, Treb 6, mast.3.5,v2 3.5, v1 5.5. All stops out spit into both channels. Settings vary with different speaker, etc. Check out my FrankenBoogie thread.