1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie 4x10 (old diesel) vs ampeg 4x10(classic serie)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Galdal, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Hi
    I`m thinking of buying a old Mesa 4x10 diesel ( looks new). I have never played on Mesa 4x10 before..I had Ampeg 4x10 for a while ago but it didn`t do it for me..so I wounder how mesa are compared to ampeg? can somebody help me? I play Mesa 400+

All the best:bassist:

2. I was in a similar predicament not 3 weeks ago :confused:

I tried out the Eden D410XLT, the Ampeg BSE-410HLF and the Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 one after the other. Hands down, the Mesa is the winner. Now, this was a brand new Powerhouse cab, and I see that people rant about the old Diesel cabs even more than they do about the new ones, so you cannot go wrong with the Mesa.

In a nutshell, the Eden had great, clear tone; it rang like a bell. Punch and low end was a little lacking. The Ampeg was slightly less trebly than the Eden, but I think it was just the fact that its low end was much more pronounced than the Eden's that the I perceived the highs to be somewhat muted.

Both were great cabinets, but the Mesa won hands down. It had all the clarity of the Eden, the beautiful clarity and definition that you get with a well-tuned, efficient cabinet, and even more punch and low end than the Ampeg. It wasn't like Mesa = Eden + Ampeg. It was more like, Mesa = Eden x Ampeg. This cab handles a low B like nobody's business, and the horn just makes it sing.

I once gigged with an Eden D210XST and a Mesa M-Pulse Venture combo with a 2x12, it had exactly the same clarity of the Eden, the same punch, but enhanced low end due to the larger speaker area. This rig owned at the show, and there were some Ampegs there, as well as a 2x15 Hartke. The soundman ranted and raved about the Mesa's tone.

Bottom line: I bought the Mesa, and haven't looked back. I'm running a Basis M-2000 (that I bought from Tom Bowlus :D) and I'm adding a Powerhouse 1x15 next week, and gigging on the 31st. I'll have more feedback on how well it does in a gigging situation after that date.

Good luck!

3. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i would go with the mesa. i play an older mesa 400 with a mesa road ready 4x10 and it sounds amazing. the only drawback is that they are very heavy but for the tone i'm getting it's worth it. the only thing i've played out of that sounded better was a mesa road ready 2x15.

4. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    This one is easy. Go with the Mesa. I much prefer the Diesel tone to the Powerhouse. I just played on a Powerhouse 1000 today at GC and it never ceases to amaze me. The older stuff (espicially with EVs) sound sweeter to my ears. It's probably worth knowing what kind of drivers are in the Mesa you're looking at because they used like five different manufacturers in the last decade and a half.

5. Ok, thanks for all info:)

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you don't mind the weight, I would be all over the Boogie. When I did my shopping for my first 'real cab' some time ago, I really thought that I would end up going Eden or SWR, and I listened to everything I could get my hands on (including Ampeg), and the Diesel 4x10 (and 2x15) were just head and shoulders my favorite of all that I heard. I still own my Deisel 4x10 ("Deep"), and it still sounds great. It's just a lot heavier than most of my gear, and even though I am not afraid of 'heavy' gear, the 120 lb weight combined with the form factor mean that it pretty much just stays downstairs anymore.

But for balanced tonal response, and fullness with exceptional clarity, the Boogie is the way to go!

Tom.

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Hey Tom, have you ever found a smaller/lighter cabinet that sounded as good as the boogie?

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Oh, sure. Lots, to be exact. But one example would be the Sadowsky SA410. It is much more compact, and can be carried through doorways without hitting your knuckles on either side! It weighs 86 lbs, but feels even lighter.

But nowadays, there really are lots of killer sounding, lighter weight options. Two EA NL-210's are another one.

Tom.

9. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Cool, I was fishing for specific cabs that have tone in the same vein ... big, solid, 4x10 sound ... without the big solid 4x10 weight. I'll have to find an SA410 and some EAs to try out.

10. metalstudz

metalstudz

Aug 14, 2010
    I never reply to threads but I felt compelled to this time. I just returned to guitar center a 410 powerhouse and 115 powerhouse cabinet. I have been a fanatic about getting the "perfect tone" for sometime now and have tried everything. I think the standard feeling with good bass tone is Lows you can feel, Punch, and clarity. all mixed with enough power to get through a stage with cymbals, marshal's, and bad monitor mixes. Just my opinion but the Mesa cabs....SUCKED!! (sorry to all the Mesa fans)

They just don't have the ability to produce good bass tone at high volumes. Its a cabinet that at low volume has a very nice clarity but never really kicks out low end (which is weird for how heavy it is)

On the other hand I replaced my svt 4 pro with a Mesa Titan V12. The power amps are incredible. Mix that with my American made 810 classic a Ernie Ball bass (any pedals that you prefer) and you have the perfect touring rig.

11. fishman35

fishman35

Oct 3, 2005
    I have an 810 SVT cab I use with my 1978 Bassman head and it sounds really good, but I played my head through a Mesa 4x10 Powerhouse cab and it blew the Ampeg right out of the water.

I am looking at both Deisel and Powerhouse cabs now, but the Diesels are hard to find local for sure. I have read too much about speakers blowing in the Eden 410XLT, and the Aguilar 4x10 did not suit my head well when I tested one.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    While I disagree that Powerhouse cabs "suck", the OP is talking about Deisel cabs. Very different.

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

While everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, I've never before heard anyone say that Mesa cabs were lacking of low end - it also directly contradicts my experiences...

- georgestrings

14. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Hey Tom when you say "Deep" were there two versions of the old diesel 4 X 10 line?. I am looking at buying one local but nowhere can I see "Deep" on the backplate.

15. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'd take the Diesel, especially if its in good shape. Hard to beat that aggressive tone. The Ampeg will be a little warmer and rounder.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It's not listed on the backplate, but they did shift to a deeper construction at some point.

17. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have a chance to buy a Powerhouse 410 for a steal but was holding back because its an 8 ohm cab and I was worried that I couldn't get all the power from my amp using it by itself. It sure is a tempting cab though. I'm scared to actually try it out because I may be compelled to by it!

18. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Do you know what are the dimensional differences between the two?

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    No, I don't, but as I recall, it's about 2" in depth, with height and width being the same.

20. i recently bought what i thought it would be THE bass tone, the ultimate magic. SVT CL and 810 ampeg cabinet. But i think it may be too Boomy. My Tone lacks a little bit of definition. I play Fender PJ bass in Low B tunning.
    I think it may be the cabinet. Maybe a Mesa 4x10 4 ohms or two 8 ohm Mesa 2x10 would give me what i need