1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa boogie 4x12 help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MWA, Nov 20, 2018.

1. MWA

MWA

Aug 27, 2018
    Hello there have a Mesa powerhouse 4x12 and for some reason when I strike the A string and let it ring it sounds like a flanger on the way down type sound and it sounds fine anywhere else on the fretboard except the A and high and low octaves. This is driving me crazy I have tightened ever screw on this cab and still same result checked cords battery’s in basses and yes multiple basses. I can post a video but won’t let me do it for some reason.

M.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    What amp are you using? Any effects?

3. MWA

MWA

Aug 27, 2018
    GK 1001rb. No effects just bass into the input. And like I said I checked every screw on this thing. Weird...

4. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Post your video on youtube, then copy/paste the address to you vid here and it will show up.

agedhorse likes this.
  5. MWA

MWA

Aug 27, 2018
    i Have no clue how to post YouTube videos any other way ?? I’m old and don’t know much about this stuff.

waynobass likes this.
  6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Have you tried a different amp and speaker cable, just to rule out other possibilities?

7. MWA

MWA

Aug 27, 2018
    Yes tried all that. It sounds like it’s coming from the horn but then it doesn’t it’s so weird.

8. MWA

MWA

Aug 27, 2018

My kid came home suddenly and helped me out so here it is.

9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Try a different bass, sounds like either an active bass electronics issue or a mechanical issue with the string setup or interference between the string and the pole.

Das Jugghead likes this.
  10. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Had a similar thing with the pickups too close to the strings.

11. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Try moving it to a different spot in the room, or to a different room entirely. Something in the space might be resonating with that note.

joebar and moreblues like this.
  12. Cage

Cage

Oct 1, 2018
    You guys wernt reading what the OP. Said multiple basses, most likely some vibration from something in the room or the cab it self

13. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    It’s because there’s a Steelers towel in the room with it. Get rid of that and it’ll sort itself out. Trust me!
    :laugh::roflmao::laugh:

juancaminos, RussT, Buzz E and 5 others like this.
  14. BoogieZK

BoogieZK

Sep 28, 2008
    Toulouse, France
    Happened to me one time, It must be something in the room or maybe the metal grill is a bit loose.
    Try to tighten grill screws a bit.

I had a pedal case in a rehearsal room 3m from my cab, the case was making a ringing metal noise in the room.
    Moved it, it disappeared.

15. Yeah, it sounds to me like a mix of vibration and a little feedback.

16. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    It's not always the size of the room, but the geometry of the room that can cause sound anomalies like that. Can you hear it everywhere in the room or in just one general location?

17. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Yeah that is odd. Have you moved the cab around. I would lay it on its side or even upside down and see if you can isolate it.

moogieotter likes this.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Take that sucker outside and see if you get the same sound. That one test will eliminate dozens of possible causes. If it still makes the noise with multiple amps and basses outside, it is the cab. Period. We can take the rest if this conversation off the table.

If it doesn't make the noise outside, it was something in the room. Period.

Report back once you have run a couple of basses and heads with that cab outside. 80% of this conversation will be pure speculation until you have done that.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  19. MWA

MWA

Aug 27, 2018
    Thanks to all for the ideas will try moving the cab further away from where it is now. Two fingers, i would love to take it outside but we are getting pounded with snow today (go figure). I will update my results thanks again!

two fingers likes this.
  20. MWA

MWA

Aug 27, 2018
    It is just for sound reasons no worries. Pay no attention to the steelers blanket

BOOG likes this.