1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa boogie 4x12 help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MWA, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I had a weird sound suddenly appear and it turned out to be the
    Name badge was loose.

2. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Can you try another amp? Sounds a little electronic to me.

3. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Did you try it with the grill removed completely?

4. MWA

MWA

Aug 27, 2018
    Yes put my ear to each speaker all sounded fine horn sounded what i assume ok its almost coming from the backside of cabinet to me but then it does sound electronic and not so much a vibration.

5. MWA

MWA

Aug 27, 2018
    Yes and put my ear to each speaker all sounded well

6. MWA

MWA

Aug 27, 2018
    Yes im going to try that when i get home from work today

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Come on man! Tough it out! :D
    4a0231229bca520da4f20b1b7ee01b82a1229216_hq.

Arthur U. Poon and Marko 1 like this.
  8. MWA

MWA

Aug 27, 2018
    HA LOL LOL Call me Burl Ives

9. michael brown

michael brown Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Check the intonation on your bass....

10. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    To echo: I've thought there was something wrong with my powerhouse cab several times, and it always turned out to be an issue from the cabinet resonating with my regular house once i took it outside. Some of those Mesa cabs aren't approved for indoor use!

packhowitzer, BOOG and basscapes like this.
  11. MWA

MWA

Aug 27, 2018
    You are probably correct the funniest thing about this is that if i tip the cab whilst the note is ringing and let the cab fall flat again on the floor you can hear the noise come in and out so im almost thinking its something loose somewhere.

Toolmybass likes this.
  12. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    My whole house shakes when I play a D, even at relatively low volumes. Great for annoying the teenagers.

basscapes likes this.
  13. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Have you tried another amp?

Where are you running the master volume? If you have a lot of eq going on at the amp and running the master very low, it's possible to overdrive a stage in your amp and it can sound like this too (depending on certain preamp circuitry).

14. MWA

MWA

Aug 27, 2018
    Yes tried my Mark Bass head, Might be a little heavy on the mids but i have not changed the setting on the GK head it just started all of the sudden and like i said just when any octave on the A note.

15. Do not do this. Its a real PITA do get it back on. There are big rubber cylinder/pucks that sit loose (when screw isn't in) behind the grill and against the cab. No way it would be the grill making that noise.

Edit:**oops too late** lol

16. Its probably something internal. Do what someone mentioned by laying cab on its side (preferably on a carpet or something)

17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    There is a possibility that there is damage to one of the drivers, but that's not a typical symptom.

At this point it might be helpful to work with an experienced service tech and actually demonstrate the symptom so they know more about what they might be looking for.

18. MWA

MWA

Aug 27, 2018
    doing that tonight.
    I am currently in talks with my local Mesa repair tech he already said he dosent know what he is supposed to be listening for in my video so this dosent look good lol

19. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    That's why I suggested that you actually demonstrate the symptoms. This is not typical.

20. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    It could be anything, just a piece of wood cut off insade the cab. Try also moving it around and to some other place. Try all that comes in mind ! If you also have tried it on different basses and the problem stays then you know that it is not the bass.