1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa boogie 4x12 help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MWA, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Could be the lead wires to the speakers. Maybe between the cone and terminal? Or the crossover / l pad./ jack plate/ handles?

2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Has electronic overtone in the tail...weird

Just skip that note...just Kidding

Like that Warner Bros cartoon when Yosemite Sam rigs a bomb to go off when
    Bugs Bunny hits a certain piano note.

And bugs Bunny keeps skipping the note lol

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Something I just though of else that is a possible cause is if when the driver was installed (or serviced), it's possible that the tinsel wire between the terminal board and the cone may have gotten moved or pushed and is either touching the cone or they are touching each other at resonance. What you are hearing is the protective VI limiter activating in the amp.

This is also presuming that the cabinet hasn't been modified... something that should also be checked. Nothing worse than discovering that the problem is due to somebody's poorly thought out idea of improvement ;)

4. MWA

MWA

Aug 27, 2018
    Well the only thing i can tell you is it does NOT look tampered with at all. The only thing different than most is that it is a 8ohm cab

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010

BOOG likes this.
  6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Yeah basically, either the HF crossover or the Driver Element has gone wonky.

Not always necessarily failing components. Could be loose crimp connections or solder joints need touch up

And it's peeving off the amp.
    Or the amp gets pieved off with inductive capacitive loads regardless. Or luckily makes things obvious when some amps wouldn't

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Huh?

Except that it likely has nothing to do with the crossover or HF driver.

8. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Well something's peaving off the amp

If no driver damage then loose crimps/solder connections are possible somewhere

9. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    I don't know anything about this cabinet but I'll ask anyway. Can't you turn the horn off?