Mesa Boogie 6x10 or Ampeg 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 1tallbassguy, May 19, 2004.

1. I already have the Mesa, as you can see in my sig.
    I have located a 8x10 Ampeg in a Pawn Shop. They are asking $399 for it. (I can probably get it for $350) I have not tried it out yet (they had nothing to push it ), but assuming it all works as designed, is it worth getting?

I will tell you that the tolex is torn of almost completely on the back, and looks rough, but that can be repaired fairly easy and cheap.
    My main concern is performance of the cabinet.

I will get back here later.
    Thanks for your comments!! :cool:
  2. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Ampeg 8x10. In working condition at $350, I'd pick it up and A/B the two to see what you like. Personally, I've never played a 6x10 that stacks up (pun intended) to the Ampeg 8x10.
  3. elmohoof

Sep 24, 2003
    Alliance, OH
    Hey 1tallbassguy,
    I noticed that you have a Carvin LB70! How do you like it? I've been thinking about getting one. The "neck through the body" design intrigues me, and having a custom made bass at their prices sounds good too! All the reviews I've heard have said that the pickups and the active EQ sucks! what do you think? thanks elmohoof
  4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    If you are motivated enough to carry an 810 I say go for it! :bassist:
  5. I've had my LB70 for about 8 months now, and so far I am really happy with it. It is my main axe.
    I like the neck-thru-body design. It is very stable and solid. Also has great action (I like low action), and basically was near perfect when shipped.
    Intonation is great.
    Stays in tune really good.
    I like the versatile sound. Usually keep a mix of both pickups, (bridge J99, and bridge HB2) and sometimes cut back on treble control.
    Sound has warm tone, and a bit of a growl.
    I paid about $950 with case shipped, and I am glad I did.
  6. I am planning on bringing my GK down to check it out tomorrow, if it is still there.
    I am happy with my Mesa (huge sound), but a chance for an 8x10 Ampeg at this price, I feel is too good a deal to pass up.
    This thing will require some cosmetic attention (tolex), but if it works well, I'm gettin it.

What do these typically go for on the 'bay?

Anyone know? :meh: