1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa-Boogie 810?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a7x9269, Mar 25, 2009.

1. a7x9269

a7x9269

Nov 15, 2008
    Hey i am interested in getting a mesa boogie powerhouse 810...i need some outside opinions about his particular cabinet . I couldn't find much literature on mesa stuff. Any opinions out there?

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Rock solid, heavy, dependable and rocking.

Not too hi-fi, like and Aguilar or Epifani. Not too gritty, like an Ampeg 810. Just a perfect middle ground between the two.

Depending on your playing style, bass and amplifier, it might be perfect, or completely the wrong cabinet for you.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 Heavy as hell, mid-rangey tone, bulletproof cab. All the Powerhouse cabs share these traits. I love 'em.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I recently got rid of a Vintage Powerhouse 810. Loved the cabinet, it was just too damn big for my needs.

Huge, well rounded tone. Big, deep lows, without being boomy, nice clean top end, and just the right amount of midrange to make it cut. I wouldn't describe it as being a mid-rangey cabinet, though (I would classify an SVT810E as being a mid-rangey cab, the Mesa is much more well rounded, IME).

5. a7x9269

a7x9269

Nov 15, 2008
    yea im in a metal band so im looking for a real good clean and bassy low end with out it sounding like ****. but the quality of the sound of the upper end needs to be good too. does that sound like this cab?

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    It sounds like the perfect cab for you, IMHO.

7. a7x9269

a7x9269

Nov 15, 2008
    any other opinions out there? thanks for those who helped

8. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    It's a great cab for you. You probably won't find too many people that have a problem with Mesa cabinets unless they're going for high fidelity or something lightweight.

If, however, you have the chance to A/B that 8x10 with their Powerhouse 1200 (4x10 and 1x15 in the same cabinet), I suggest you do so. They are both great cabinets, but with the addition of the 15, the Powerhouse 1200 might have just a little bit more lowend, but will sacrifice a little in square inch brute force.

9. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

Well... I mean.. the bassist from Lamb of God played 2 of them at a show I saw and it was STUPID awesome! haha. Sounds just like what you need.:smug:

10. a7x9269

a7x9269

Nov 15, 2008
    from what i heard having the 410's and 115 its sucks. while the concept of the cab is good the reality is that it sucks.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know if "sucks" is the right word. I certainly don't like it, and it can cause phasing issues to mix speakers of different sizes for the same frequency range, but a lot of people use them and get a sound they love out of them. But yeah, personally I think it sucks ;)

12. a7x9269

a7x9269

Nov 15, 2008
    ok so maybe "not as good as it could be theoretically" i would not even consider the 1200 in relation to the 810

13. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    I have one. I love it. It's definitely a rock cab. I think it blows away the SVT 8x10 - especially the non-70's SVT cabs. It's much clearer across the spectrum than an SVT but it also doesn't have that hi-fi sound (of other cabs) that I don't care for. It really grinds. A good example of this cab is Justin Chancellor of Tool.
    Here's mine:
    DSCN2805. [/IMG]

14. a7x9269

a7x9269

Nov 15, 2008
    anything else anyone?

15. K-Punk

K-Punk Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2007
    PDX
    Best rock 8x10 cab on the market...Way better than the 4x12. But the 2 together...Very nice.
    I have a carbine 6 and a road ready 8x10. Crushed my ampeg Pro2 and ampeg 8x10.
    Highly recommend.