Mesa Boogie 8x10 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, May 6, 2002.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Does anyone own or has anyone played through Mesa's 8x10 road ready cab?

I'm thinking about making a purchace but I need feedback. Thanks.
  2. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    does anybody know the difference between powerhouse and roadready cabs? Mesa's site does a pretty crappy job of explaining the difference. Both descriptions say the same thing
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I advise you to also think about eating your Wheaties. That's one of the heaviest boxes on the market. Road Ready cabs are considerably heavier than just about anything else you'll find. I love the way they sound but seldom wrestle them into the truck for gigs these days because I don't enjoy the day or two of back pain that follows the gig. I have Road Ready 210, 118, 410, 215. They all sound great, especially with the 400+. The 810 is massive sounding, as is the big 410/15 and the 610. I like the older ones with EV's the best.

Seriously, man. Load one in your vehicle before you even think about buying one. You'll see what I mean.
  4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    K Dubbs-

i might be wrong but i am pretty sure that they are basically the same sound... the road ready cabinet is just well.... road ready. meaning it has metal corners, casters, locking covers and all that. im sure its quite a bit heavier too... so it might sound a little different. but i think the inside dimensions and the drivers are the same.
  5. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    They weigh a ton dude. My 410 is a major pain to move. It takes two grown men just to lift the thing. But it sounds incredible! :)
  6. Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    I like how they talk about reducing the Powerhouse cab weights, only they dont actually state it. Guitar Center has no clue, surprise.

I'm interested in a 4x10.
  7. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for all the info, especially on the WEIGHT. I may take the plunge. I have 3 other guys in the band that can help move the beast. Thanks again and anyone else feel free to chime in with more info.
  8. slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    The Road Ready cabinets are very nice. I have owned the Diesel Powerhouse 1000, and played the Road Ready 8x10. Both are impressive. The Mesa/Boogie 8x10 is similar to an Ampeg 8x10, but with more midrange clarity and probably a little more bottom end. It is not a sealed design, which I am sure make a huge difference in sound. These are extremely tough, extremely well built cabinets. Amazingly heavy. Too damn heavy. I sold mine for that reason.

What a fool I am.

I am looking for the older Road Ready Powerhouse 1000 (4x10 + 1x15).

Oh yeah, I would definitely hold out for the older EV loaded (or Eden / EV loaded!) cabs.
  9. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Oh yeah, I would definitely hold out for the older EV loaded (or Eden / EV loaded!) cabs. [/B][/QUOTE]

Are you talking about older Mesa cabs? Does Eden make an 8x10?

Also does anyone make custom road cases for cabs? Thanks.
  10. TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    I have a Road Ready 2x15
    VERY heavy! It has just about destroyed the back seat of my '95 Ford Contour-with NO damage to the speaker cabinet! It is worth it (to me)! Fortunately, I have a weekly gig at a bar where I won't have to move it. I also have a Road Ready 2x10 that is more manageable and will be used for smaller gigs.
    Bottom line is Road Ready Mesa is WORTH the trouble--it sounds great! You can always find someone to help you move it around.
  11. slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Yes, older Mesa cabs. Far superior, in my opinion.

Yes, Eden makes an 8x10, the D-810XLT. I have never heard one.

Eden, at one point, manufacured cabinets for Mesa Boogie (and others). I am 99.9% sure that some of the Mesa cabinets using "Black Shadow" speakers during this period contain not only Eminence and Electro-Voice drivers, but also Eden drivers.
  12. If you want an 8x10, why not just get 2 410 cabs to make it easier?
  13. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    i must agree, sometimes its nice to be able to split an 8x10 in half...

i'd go with 2x4x10" heh.
  14. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah it would be nice to split but I mostly wanted the 8x10 because of the road case. I wish more cabinets could be ordered like that. Does anyone else make road ready cabs?
  15. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    You could just get 2 road ready 410s...

But those are heavy enough as it is. At least mine is. Mine is one of the older ones with the super thick plywood on the roadcase and the phos tex tweeter. I dont know what kind of drivers it has but the thing is pretty old.

Trust me, a 410 doesnt seem like it would be that heavy but you'll understand once you try to lift it.
  16. I own RR 2x15 & RR2x10 and I can tell you they don't sound anything like the diesel or whatever they call their vinyl covered cabs..for starters the RR series uses 3\4" luan covered plywood which makes the cab alot heavier and the walls of the cab stiffer..because of this, the cab(the box itself) has less coloration and does not resonate like the diesel series(kinda like the acmes with their internal bracing)RR cabs will produce tighter lows and a more even frequency responce due to it's weight and stiffness..I read somewhere that the ultimate bass cab should be made of concrete because the box would have no influence on the freq. response of the driver(and some other psyco-acoustical jargen) the RR cabs weigh as much as concrete..but they are truly the last word said in durability and ruggedness...BTW the differences between RR and diesel(vinyl covered)beside sound, are the RR is built into it's road case and the other is'nt.but I think they use the same drivers in both..I'm sure someone will correct or go into greater detail,but I hope I got my point across.
  17. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My experience bears out everything rekesbass said. Totally agree.
  18. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When did Mesa stop loading there cabs with EV's anyway (what year)? Any body know? Also is there anyway to tell if you have the EV's without pulling the speaker out to look at the back???:confused: :)