Mesa Boogie 8x10 RoadReady bass cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Macbeth56, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Hey,
    Does anyone know where I can a picture and price on this cab? I would like to see what the new ones look like, and how much they are.
    Also, which one do you think would sound better for a hardcore/metal or hardcore/punk type of band..
    Ampeg 8x10
    or the
    Mesa 8x10
    Im looking for that really punchy/ballsy sound.

Thanks guys,
  2. playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    If I can recall correctly, a brand new Mesa Boogie Road Ready 8x10 is around 1795.00 + tax.
  3. Is it worth that much more?
  4. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN

You should definetly check out the Gk 810 as well, Its what I use and Im really happy w/ it. Im in a hardcore band called That was then and we are playing evansville next saturday Feb. 12th. you should come check us out if your not busy.

5. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I talked to guitar center a week or so ago about one. It took a while, but they ended up telling me that they aren't a common item. Mesa usually only makes one every 2-3 months.

They quoted me $1480 ish.
  6. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why not look at the Aguilar S810 which runs about $999. Great Value and sound from what I hear.
  7. toddmcm

Jan 19, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Bunch of second hand crap. Anytime somebody says, plop down your money on this "It's GREAT from what I hear" is bull....

First of all you can't compare a GK anything to a Mesa. PERIOD.
    Second of all, why would you even reccomend an Aguilar if the guy is looking at gear that is WAY out of it's league.

Between Mesa and Ampeg - I'd still say the Mesa is a better all around cab. It will last generations - virtually indestructible. Tone wise, I prefer the Mesa, they are capable of super clean high volume and DEEP Bass.

The Ampeg is no slouch, great cabs. But if you're looking dream setup, go Mesa. You'll never look back.

Also, ever since I heard the Powerhouse1000 which is 4 10's and a 15" in the same cab, NO SINGLE CAB touches it for metal / hardcore type stuff that I've ever heard. But this particular rig was full of rack stuff that I'd never even seen before, and powered by a 400+. But it was just ungodly and has to be heard/felt to be understood.

Good Luck man - quite honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either... but beware the lame comments to try a piece of gear that's nowhere near the quality of the two you are looking at.

I had to edit: as I suggested trying them out. Then I realized where you are located.. Pretty hard to drive to the Mesa store from Indiana huh?
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've gotta jump in on this one.

To me, THAT'S insane. Aguilar is top-shelf stuff. "WAY" out of Mesa's league???? What are you smoking. Everything, EVERYTHING Aguilar makes is boutique gear. You may be a big fan of Mesa, but that in no way diminishes the quality of offerings other top manufacturers.

Preferences vary, but c'mon . . .
  9. Anytime somebody says, plop down your money on this "It's GREAT from what I hear" is bull...
    When someone say's something is great "from what they have hear'd" I take it they have no "hands on" with the product or whatever.....and I dont even consider their opinion and move on to someone who has expeience with the product or info....MHO
  10. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Very little people can hear the S810 as it just became available, and I'm not even sure if it's available in stores yet. How are people supposed to actually know if it's great or not, unless people try it out. All I said is "Why not look". And let's not start a war in this room guys. Eric, you rock. We have nearly the same setup, except you have the Navigator and I have the DB680.

11. ha thats awesome, ive been waiting to see you guys for awhile. last time you guys were suppose to come i think something happened. you guys are on best of times with my friends reaction. cool stuff. i'll be there for sure. see ya then

12. oh yeah, i was looking at those cabs and i am very interested. im excited to be able to hear one this weekend.
  13. jedwards

Feb 1, 2005
    Never heard the 8 x10 , but I've got a 4 x10 RR - played a ton and moved around a ton - the thing is damn near indestructible. I've often got the comment "where's the other one?" by people wondering where all the sound was coming from. Used it in a metal band to replace a 2x 15 and an 18 - tired of lugging them, other than a bit of mud, I did not miss the bigger cabs. Not sure if they still give you choice of drivers, I opted for the Eden drivers at the time, and never have a problem. I used to drive the cab with a 300 wpc carver amp in stereo - never had any volume problems. I am sure the 8 x 10 will handle anything you can throw at it.

I did used an ampeg 8 x 10 for a while, had a problem getting it around without a case, it did sound sweet though....

Find a Mesa dealer and listen to the 4 X 10 - maybe get a pair - might prove to be a better choice in the long run for mobility.
  14. Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Well, I'd like to nominate Toddmcm for the "happy-friendly-useful-post of the week" award.

Anyone second the motion?
  15. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Is there any tone difference between RR and powerhouse cabs?

I tried a powerhouse 4x10 and then tried with a 15 underneath. It was a great stand alone cab, massive sound, the 15 did add a fair bit more low end, and gave it a fuller sound. I'd love to try two 4x10's together and see how it sounds.

By the way, how much is a RR 4x10?
  16. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The only difference between the PH and RR cabs is the cabinet it self. Same speakers and everything just a different encloser. The list on a 410 rr is $1198. I love mesa cabs but I don't think the Road Ready is worth it. It's much more expensive and the added protection just adds pointless weight unless you really treat your cabs like crap.
  17. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, i heard they were ported different or something.. not sure at all though. Can you still chose what drivers to have in the cabs? I never realised you could do that with mesa, or is that with RR only?

Also, whats the list on the 410 PH? Also, whats the list on Powerhouse 1000? And do you think these guys are worth it?
  18. jedwards

Feb 1, 2005
    Before I purchased the RR cabinet I asked myself if the protection was worth it also. I think the answer depends on how often the cabinet is moved and who is moving it. At the time I purchased the RR, I was playing out between 3 and 5 times per week, and practicing with different bands on the other nights, lugging the cabinet everywhere. Sometimes there were other people hired to move the gear. My other cabinets were fairly beaten up, dents in the grill (from shifting weight in the truck) and the carpeting was always ripped, stained, peeling. For me it was worth the added expense, and it was actually less expensive than the guitar players flight case for his Marshall cab, (after one cab was crushed by the drum stands).

There definately is a premium for the RR enclosure, in my case it paid for itslelf as this cab actually lasted for three years of gigs, I was replacing cabs about once per year.

I bought the Mesa about 10 years ago, had to custom order and wait 6-8 weeks for delivery. Not sure if Mesa does business in the same way anymore.

BTW - the weight addition is not so bad as the casters are extremely strong, wheels are good. Most of the moving around is just rolling around.
  19. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Excellent point. If your gear travels in an equipment truck as opposed to your own vehicle, or if roadies are the ones moving it, then it makes sense to get the RoadReady cabs, or some other heavy duty flight case.

If you move it yourself and the cab travels in your own vehicle, its overkill and extra weight that will bother you after awhile.
  20. toddmcm

Jan 19, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    And, Like I said before.

NOTHING COMES CLOSE... to the durability. Especially your prized Aguilar. That thing will fall to pieces YEARS before a RR Mesa setup.

So, if you want to buy your cab 5 times, buy something other than a Mesa RR. They are the best, PERIOD.

Ya, I give that warm and fuzzy feeling don't I. I have enough friends, that's not why I come to this forum. I come here to shoot down crap statements about overhyped gear; which in my short time here in talkbass I notice there is way too much of.

Way out of Mesa's league, now thats funny.