1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa boogie advice!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dudi8, Nov 16, 2017.

1. dudi8

Apr 13, 2010
    i just bought a mesa subway 1x12 cab and im running it through a Markbass Big Bang, im thinking between selling the mark and buying a D800 or just buy the preamp, what do you suggest???

2. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Have you looked at the Subway D-800+?
    It has extra features over the D-800 including an adjustable High Pass Filter and sweepable High Mid and Low Mid parametric frequency controls.
    rmars and Hoochie Coochie Man like this.
  3. dudi8

Apr 13, 2010
    im not a big knob tweaker , so im not sure its worth the extra cash for me
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    It’s less about tweaking knobs and more about enough control to dial in THAT tone which you have been hearing in your head. :D
    redneck2wild and dudi8 like this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!!

Aug 5, 2009
    Reasons to go with the Mesa over the Markbass/MesaDI combo:
    You'll get more power, and you'll get 2 ohm stability. Those are the main reasons, and of course there the intangibles like better warranty/support, better reliability on the amp, dual Speakon outputs...things like that. So, determine how important those are to you.

That being said, I've had great results plugging the Mesa DI into other amps. Especially nice was going into the Ampeg PF800. You'll have lots of versatility that way, as if you just plug in the front you'll have both preamps. And THAT being said, the Mesa D800 is the amp that I actually use when it comes down to show time.
  6. Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have always been like you - bass/mid/treble has always been enough for me and I have never been impressed by lots of knobs or sliders. That said, the 800+ is so intuitive that I have been stunned by how naturally it comes to use the knobs and tweaking is really very easy on this head. Five minutes experimenting and you can just about dial any tone you want from it. It really is very simple despite all the features. The mark of a great head to me is one where you can easily dial in the sound in your mind and then do not find yourself constantly doing little tweaks all night. The Mesa D800+ fits that description perfectly.
    P_Robyn and agedhorse like this.
  7. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
    Put a 2:100 Tube Power Amp on top of those sexy af 12s and den use ur Fancy Pedal!
  8. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    fwiw I had both the D800 and D800+ and sold then D800+. If you want/need the extra flexibility of the plus then it is totally worth the extra money. But the D800 is damn near perfect just the way it is. I never use bright switches, the built-in HPF works well, and the eq points are very well chosen. Hard to go wrong either way.
    looper, monsterthompson and P_Robyn like this.
  9. This matches my experience with the D800. Can't believe how easy it was to get a great sound without fiddling around.... Maybe it's just me, but there's something about Mesa gear that is just so right. It's just ... IT!
  10. StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    I'm a big Mesa fan, and I have the D-800. I also have the Big Bang, and much prefer it. If you like highs, definitely get the 800+ if you're going in a Mesa direction. The High-Pass Filter on the 800+ is a nice feature too. That it only has Speak-On outs is a big negative and frustration for me.

Of course everyone's opinion will differ, however most will probably agree that getting the Mesa preamp will give you the most versatility. Given that the Big Bang has plenty of onboard EQ options and a quality DI out thought, it would never occur to me to buy a pricey preamp to put in front of it.

Good luck whatever you decide.
  11. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009

That's kinda like saying that you just bought a new 70" HDTV for your home theater, then being frustrated that you can't plug your VCR into it.
    Buzz E and agedhorse like this.
  12. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    Use my D800 all the time w a speakon to 1/4 " cord at rehearsal w old Mesa 15

Zero issue, sounds great
    monsterthompson likes this.
  13. StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    I find that a bothersome frustration too, actually.

But no, it's exactstating my many MESA cabs have 1/4" only inputs and so do many cabs found at commercial rehearsal facilities and more than a few professional backlines.

I'm aware MESA was forced to comply with a law in this regard. I'm aware of the safety "benefits" in a 1-in-a-million scenario. I'm also very aware of the times I've had to borrow an amp because I showed up without my SpeakOn-1/4" cable only to find 1/4" cab inputs. And what's the point if using a converter? ly

Not just the D-800, but other newer amps that comply with these intrusive regulations. Some, and I can't recall if it's the case with the D-800, state in their manual that if you use a 1/4"-SpeakOn converter you run the risk of damaging the amp. Salt in the wound.

The MarkBass has dual-function outs, best of both worlds, giving the owner of the gear the option to do as they please. I care about that and value the option. The O.P. might too. Silly analogies aren't germane.
  14. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009

@agedhorse had some very good reasons why modern amps don't have 1/4" speaker jacks (beyond the fact that they can't carry the proper current and that they short your amp when you plug them in) but I can't remember all of them now. I think think back to what they were designed for....telephone switchboards in the 50's with 28ga cable, and that alone keeps me from using them :)