Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie Basis M-2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lemonadeisgood, Aug 24, 2001.

1. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    I played on one of these today and I had quite a while to fool around on it. This has got to be one of the most versitile amps ever. I love the tone I can get out of it. I played a Spector (forget what model) 5 String through it and it sounded great.

I'd love to get one but i'm tight on cash since I just recently bought a Peavey 810 cab.

Anyone else care to share any experiance with this head?

2. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I have had mine for about 5 months and I love it. Great tone, "warm" and an insane amount of EQ options. Perhaps a bit wasteful if you tend to run everything flat! You can blend two separate preamps, each with their own 9-band graphic EQ, compressor and volume. The effects-loop has a blend and frequency select knob so you can use vintage effects without compromising your tone and punch. The tube channel has a high gain mode, which is fun to use, but I don't really need it. It does double as a mute for silent tuning which is handy on stage. There really is too much to write. A great amp, but pretty expensive too. You can find 'em on eBay or Bassgear.com occasionally for around 1K or so. Definitely my fave amp, and I've played a lot! Versatility is the key here...

3. >Anyone else care to share any experiance with >this head?
    Yah...a headache. I traded my glorious 400+ in for this so that I could sound good a lower volumes as well as cranked (which is what the 400+ wants, really) and have been pulling my hair out ever since. The M-2000 is a terrific amp but is quite involved if trying to find "your" sound. The 400+ was so much more a "plug n' play". after 3 years I am closer to settling on a tone that is "mine" but an amp should sound good flat first, right? I ran the 400+ basically flat after over-goosing that EQ for years and was immediatly blessed with god-like tone. Too much like carrying around a big TV set though. I dig the design of the M-2000 but wish it was easier to get a decent sound out of; flat just doesn't cut it. Those passive tube side tone controls are a little wacky as well....
    I generally set up a decent tube sound then blend in huge SS bottom, blending everything above 300 hz off. This seems to work.

4. I have a buddy who is interested in my two Mesa cabs. He also owns a 4x10 and 1x15 and I'm selling him my 2x10 and 1x15. They are all 8ohm cabs. We hooked them all up to his M-2000 and they sound good, but after reading his manual I noticed it said 4ohm is the preferred load. It's un-clear to me if that means that each 1/4" output is 4ohms or together they are 4ohms in which case four 8ohm cabs would be a 2ohm load and not recommended for high volumens or extended periods. Help.

5. I am a proud owner of an m-2000. I've had it for 5 years and it still surprises me! here's the easiest way to make tone:

(for each channel)
    IGNORE THE GRAPHIC EQ!!! - they are there only for adjusting to room acoustics

tube side:
    the semi-parametric levels are boost only and have wide Q's. Read: the lows overlap into the mids, the mids overlap so it affects the lows and hi's, the hi's affect the midrange character. easy way? yes, set them to 12 o'clock and fine tune from there.

fet side:
    set the eq's to 12 o', set the bass level dimed and adjust the freq knob until desired point is reached, then zero it out and raise the level. season to taste.

set it to blend:
    pan it from channel to the other channel to adjust individual levels then set the blend to its best setting.

set up the FTSW and jam!

6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Big String
    Each plug should be an 8ohm, with a total minimum load of 4ohm. So you can only run two 8ohm cabs...two 4ohm cabs make a 2ohm load not allowed with the M-2000 (yes, four 8ohm cabs make a 2ohm load) .
    I toured with another band and the bassist was mad because he couldn't use both of his 2x15 cabs with his M-2000.

7. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Wow, it's been a while since I got rid of mine. A nice amp but very overkill on the eq. When run flat, my bass didn't sound that great and I spent too much time finding a setting that I liked. Really great features though. I especially liked the compression and effects loop controls. And it had a purty jewel light.:D

8. I got a hold of Kevin at Boogie and he told me to get two Series Boxes. Each pair of 8ohm cabs would be hooked to the series boxes making the pair of 8ohm speakers a 16ohm series load and then converted to and 8ohm load to go in one of the 1/4 outputs. Repeat the same for other pair. Mesa charges 30 bucks each. part number is FC.Series/Box.

9. Same for me...lotsa features, headache included. Loved that compressor tho'.